Thibaut Courtois wants to leave Chelsea & sign for Barcelona [Sport]
Catalan paper Sport lead with Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois on their front page today with the claim the Belgian wants to leave Stamford Bridge for Barcelona.
Thibaut Courtois has already established himself as one of the best goalkeepers in the world during his loan spell at Atletico Madrid.
Signed by the Blues from Genk for just 9 million euros, Courtois has been a major reason behind Atletico Madrid’s success under Diego Simeone and is a key part of a side that has started the 2013/2014 La Liga season with 8 successive victories.
Sport suggest on Tuesday morning that Courtois is now Barcelona’s first choice to replace Victor Valdes who is out of contract at the end of the season and expected to join Monaco next summer.
Crucially, Courtois is eager to stay in Spain and feels he is unlikely to dislodge Petr Cech in the Chelsea goal.
Despite the fact Courtois is contracted to Chelsea until 2016, the Belgian has made it clear to Barcelona that he will push through a move to the Nou Camp, a fact that was relayed during the negotiations over David Villa’s sale to Atletico Madrid in the summer.
This could be one of the major 2014 summer transfer stories, especially if Courtois continues to impress for Atletico and then shines for Belgium at the World Cup.
Barcelona will throw a lot of cash at their next goalkeeper, according to Sport and a key player in this saga could be Jose Mourinho who will have to convince Courtois to stay at Stamford Bridge.
Watch Live Stream
- Yannick Carrasco gets new Atletico Madrid contract with huge buy-out clauseOctober 21, 2016
- Chelsea linked to an Atletico Madrid midfielder [Sport]October 20, 2016
- Carrasco claims a hat-trick as Atletico Madrid crush Granada 7-1 (Official video)October 16, 2016
- Positive Man United updates in the pursuit of Atletico’s Antoine Griezmann [Mirror]October 16, 2016
- Pep Guardiola’s decision to drop Sergio Aguero at Barça wasn’t purely tactical [Graham Hunter]October 21, 2016
- Barcelona striker Luis Suarez explains why he’ll never win the Ballon d’Or [ESPN]October 21, 2016
- The extraordinary numbers behind Neymar’s new Barcelona contract (Video)October 21, 2016
- Barcelona legend Eric Abidal says that Cristiano Ronaldo is a burden for Portugal [Grup 14]October 21, 2016
- Jose Mourinho told Howard Webb that ‘The Man’ was going to fire him back in 2007 (Video)October 21, 2016
- Chelsea’s Thibaut Courtois suffers untimely fail in Twitter Bantz with Michy BatshuayiOctober 21, 2016
- Manchester United have a horrific record away at Chelsea since 2002 [Graphic]October 21, 2016
- Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho rules out third spell at Chelsea (Video)October 21, 2016