Thibaut Courtois wants to leave Chelsea & sign for Barcelona [Sport]
- October 8, 2013
Catalan paper Sport lead with Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois on their front page today with the claim the Belgian wants to leave Stamford Bridge for Barcelona.
Thibaut Courtois has already established himself as one of the best goalkeepers in the world during his loan spell at Atletico Madrid.
Signed by the Blues from Genk for just 9 million euros, Courtois has been a major reason behind Atletico Madrid’s success under Diego Simeone and is a key part of a side that has started the 2013/2014 La Liga season with 8 successive victories.
Sport suggest on Tuesday morning that Courtois is now Barcelona’s first choice to replace Victor Valdes who is out of contract at the end of the season and expected to join Monaco next summer.
Crucially, Courtois is eager to stay in Spain and feels he is unlikely to dislodge Petr Cech in the Chelsea goal.
Despite the fact Courtois is contracted to Chelsea until 2016, the Belgian has made it clear to Barcelona that he will push through a move to the Nou Camp, a fact that was relayed during the negotiations over David Villa’s sale to Atletico Madrid in the summer.
This could be one of the major 2014 summer transfer stories, especially if Courtois continues to impress for Atletico and then shines for Belgium at the World Cup.
Barcelona will throw a lot of cash at their next goalkeeper, according to Sport and a key player in this saga could be Jose Mourinho who will have to convince Courtois to stay at Stamford Bridge.
- Golazo: Jackson Martinez scores his first goal for Atletico Madrid v Sevilla (Videos)
- Atletico’s Antoine Griezmann pulls off brilliant improvisational assist for Koke ...
- Chelsea’s Diego Costa met up with Atletico chief exec Miguel Angel Gil in Ibiza, ...
- Man United linked to Antoine Griezmann after Chelsea pinch Pedro [Daily Mail]
- Antoine Griezmann loved Wayne Rooney’s back heel during Man United v Club Brugge ...
- Atletico Madrid strung together 33 passes in 86 seconds for a team golazo v Real Socied...
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...