Thibaut Courtois wants to leave Chelsea & sign for Barcelona [Sport]
Catalan paper Sport lead with Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois on their front page today with the claim the Belgian wants to leave Stamford Bridge for Barcelona.
Thibaut Courtois has already established himself as one of the best goalkeepers in the world during his loan spell at Atletico Madrid.
Signed by the Blues from Genk for just 9 million euros, Courtois has been a major reason behind Atletico Madrid’s success under Diego Simeone and is a key part of a side that has started the 2013/2014 La Liga season with 8 successive victories.
Sport suggest on Tuesday morning that Courtois is now Barcelona’s first choice to replace Victor Valdes who is out of contract at the end of the season and expected to join Monaco next summer.
Crucially, Courtois is eager to stay in Spain and feels he is unlikely to dislodge Petr Cech in the Chelsea goal.
Despite the fact Courtois is contracted to Chelsea until 2016, the Belgian has made it clear to Barcelona that he will push through a move to the Nou Camp, a fact that was relayed during the negotiations over David Villa’s sale to Atletico Madrid in the summer.
This could be one of the major 2014 summer transfer stories, especially if Courtois continues to impress for Atletico and then shines for Belgium at the World Cup.
Barcelona will throw a lot of cash at their next goalkeeper, according to Sport and a key player in this saga could be Jose Mourinho who will have to convince Courtois to stay at Stamford Bridge.
Watch Live Stream
- Griezmann jokes that he hopes he doesn’t have to see Cristiano Ronaldo in 2017 (Video)December 10, 2016
- Atletico Madrid are making serious money from Sergio Aguero’s success at Man CityDecember 6, 2016
- Cristiano Ronaldo Jr is a big fan of… Antoine GriezmannDecember 5, 2016
- Diego Simeone’s brilliant anti-Juventus Instagram post after Giovanni Simeone braceNovember 28, 2016
- Barcelona’s Neymar congratulates ‘Fatty’ Luis Suarez on Osasuna goal on SnapcatDecember 10, 2016
- Huge boost for Barcelona as Messi and Suarez open contract talks [BBC Sport]December 10, 2016
- Neymar creates the ultimate footballer from the best players ever (Video)December 9, 2016
- Chapecoense president Ivan Tozzo has accepted Barcelona’s inviteDecember 9, 2016
- Two Chelsea legends return to the club during MLS off-seasonDecember 10, 2016
- David Luiz claims he’s ready to take over from Chelsea legend John TerryDecember 10, 2016
- Chelsea boss reveals damage caused by Sergio Aguero’s tackle on David LuizDecember 10, 2016
- Conte claims he’s now got a huge selection headache after player revivalDecember 10, 2016