Thibaut Courtois wants to leave Chelsea & sign for Barcelona [Sport]
- October 8, 2013
Catalan paper Sport lead with Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois on their front page today with the claim the Belgian wants to leave Stamford Bridge for Barcelona.
Thibaut Courtois has already established himself as one of the best goalkeepers in the world during his loan spell at Atletico Madrid.
Signed by the Blues from Genk for just 9 million euros, Courtois has been a major reason behind Atletico Madrid’s success under Diego Simeone and is a key part of a side that has started the 2013/2014 La Liga season with 8 successive victories.
Sport suggest on Tuesday morning that Courtois is now Barcelona’s first choice to replace Victor Valdes who is out of contract at the end of the season and expected to join Monaco next summer.
Crucially, Courtois is eager to stay in Spain and feels he is unlikely to dislodge Petr Cech in the Chelsea goal.
Despite the fact Courtois is contracted to Chelsea until 2016, the Belgian has made it clear to Barcelona that he will push through a move to the Nou Camp, a fact that was relayed during the negotiations over David Villa’s sale to Atletico Madrid in the summer.
This could be one of the major 2014 summer transfer stories, especially if Courtois continues to impress for Atletico and then shines for Belgium at the World Cup.
Barcelona will throw a lot of cash at their next goalkeeper, according to Sport and a key player in this saga could be Jose Mourinho who will have to convince Courtois to stay at Stamford Bridge.
- Still Got It: Diego Simeone pulls off neat rainbow flick in Atletico Madrid training (V...
- Fernando Torres scores for Atletico Madrid at Real Oviedo (video)
- Chelsea confirm permanent sale of Filipe Luis to Atletico Madrid; Reported fee of £11.3m
- Filipe Luis has completed Atletico medical, but deal not done yet as Chelsea demand hig...
- Atletico Madrid bid farewell to Mario Suarez ahead of Fiorentina move (Video)
- Jackson Martinez arrives in Madrid after Atletico move, brushes off Falcao comparison [...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi