Thibaut Courtois is “desperate” to leave Chelsea & join Barcelona [El Mundo Deportivo]
An intriguing subplot is emerging ahead of the La Liga title showdown between Barcelona and Atletico Madrid on Saturday evening.
El Mundo Deportivo claim today that Atletico Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, on loan from Chelsea, is “desperate” to sign for Barcelona.
Courtois is contracted to Chelsea until 2016 and there has been much speculation about his future in recent months as he has emerged as arguably the best goalkeeper in world football and faced the Blues in the Champions League semi-finals.
El Mundo go as far to claim that Courtois has a “dream” to sign for Barcelona, is “tired” of being loaned out all the time and his representatives are in touch with the Catalan side “on a daily basis.”
The Belgium number one is well aware that Victor Valdes and Pinto are leaving Barcelona this summer and is keen to be the first choice goalkeeper at the Nou Camp.
However, if this report is true, the Courtois dream may struggle to become reality as El Mundo suggest that Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta has given assurances to young German keeper Marc-André ter Stegen that he will be first choice goalkeeper next season.
Courtois will, according to El Mundo, reject the Chelsea contract extension on offer and hope for a change of mind at Barcelona.
The Catalans have also been linked with Malaga goalkeeper Willy Caballero, who has a 20 million euro buyout clause.
Watch Live Stream
- Incredible video of Cristiano Ronaldo’s rousing half-time speech in CL finalOctober 23, 2016
- Yannick Carrasco gets new Atletico Madrid contract with huge buy-out clauseOctober 21, 2016
- Chelsea linked to an Atletico Madrid midfielder [Sport]October 20, 2016
- Carrasco claims a hat-trick as Atletico Madrid crush Granada 7-1 (Official video)October 16, 2016
- Barcelona striker Luis Suarez reveals plans to return to former clubOctober 25, 2016
- Revealed: PSG agreed to pay Neymar’s €190m release clause but not his monster tax debt [L’Equipe]October 25, 2016
- Did violent Valencia tactics make Andres Iniesta’s injury inevitable? (Video)October 24, 2016
- Andres Iniesta’s injury timetable sees him miss 12 Barcelona fixtures, including ClasicoOctober 23, 2016
- ‘We all know how Jose is’: Chelsea’s Pedro dismisses Mourinho’s touchline moaningOctober 25, 2016
- Antonio Conte again defends his touchline conduct v Man United (Video)October 25, 2016
- West Ham v Chelsea: EFL Cup preview, line-ups & predictionsOctober 25, 2016
- Who is better: Eden Hazard in goal or Thibaut Courtois as an outfield player? (Video)October 25, 2016