Thibaut Courtois is “desperate” to leave Chelsea & join Barcelona [El Mundo Deportivo]
- May 14, 2014
An intriguing subplot is emerging ahead of the La Liga title showdown between Barcelona and Atletico Madrid on Saturday evening.
El Mundo Deportivo claim today that Atletico Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, on loan from Chelsea, is “desperate” to sign for Barcelona.
Courtois is contracted to Chelsea until 2016 and there has been much speculation about his future in recent months as he has emerged as arguably the best goalkeeper in world football and faced the Blues in the Champions League semi-finals.
El Mundo go as far to claim that Courtois has a “dream” to sign for Barcelona, is “tired” of being loaned out all the time and his representatives are in touch with the Catalan side “on a daily basis.”
The Belgium number one is well aware that Victor Valdes and Pinto are leaving Barcelona this summer and is keen to be the first choice goalkeeper at the Nou Camp.
However, if this report is true, the Courtois dream may struggle to become reality as El Mundo suggest that Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta has given assurances to young German keeper Marc-André ter Stegen that he will be first choice goalkeeper next season.
Courtois will, according to El Mundo, reject the Chelsea contract extension on offer and hope for a change of mind at Barcelona.
The Catalans have also been linked with Malaga goalkeeper Willy Caballero, who has a 20 million euro buyout clause.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...