- Leo Messi writes tribute for ex Arsenal & Barcelona forward Thierry Henry on Facebook
- Brendan Rodgers praises Raheem Sterling & says Liverpool don’t have world class forwards [Video]
- Tottenham fans sing about Wembley after beating Newcastle 4-0 in QF [Video]
- Southampton preparing January move for Dutch Galatasaray star Wesley Sneijder [Mirror]
- Roy Keane confronted ex-Man United man Tom Cleverley over Aston Villa bust-up exit rumours [Sun]
Thiago Alcantara rejected Real Madrid advances; excited for Man United challenge [Sport]
Thiago Alcantara once again finds himself on the front of Catalan paper Sport today with the news that the Spain Under-21 midfielder flat out refused an approach from Real Madrid and is keen for the challenge at Manchester United.
In recent weeks, Real Madrid president Florentino Perez made initial advances towards Thiago, believing a move for the midfielder would soften the blow of Barcelona signing Neymar this summer.
Perez began investigating a move to pay off Thiago’s 18 million euro release clause and bring the Barcelona midfielder to the Bernabeu along with Spanish Under-21 team mate Isco.
But, Thiago and his advisers, including his father Mazinho, were not interested in moving to Real Madrid, especially as this would be seen as “revenge” at the Nou Camp.
Sport add that Manchester United are the club that excites Thiago the most and he has been reassured a starting spot in David Moyes’ side.
Bayern Munich remain in the hunt for Thiago and are eyeing developments, but if Manchester United activate the 18 million euro release clause, a deal could happen at any time.
Meanwhile, after Thiago’s rejection, Real Madrid turned their attentions to Thiago’s Spanish Under-21 team mate Asier Illarramendi.
- Updated: July 10, 2013