- Former Irish rugby star Brian O’Driscoll admits he was infatuated when he met David Beckham [Video]
- Mario Balotelli pulls off back skill and bicycle kick during Liverpool head tennis [Video]
- Rumours abound that Falcao will start for Man United against Chelsea [Tweets]
- Thibaut Courtois has achieved a lot in his career since his debut six years ago
- This graphic shows Louis van Gaal’s stunning influence over top level European football
Thiago Alcantara rejected Real Madrid advances; excited for Man United challenge [Sport]
- July 10, 2013
Thiago Alcantara once again finds himself on the front of Catalan paper Sport today with the news that the Spain Under-21 midfielder flat out refused an approach from Real Madrid and is keen for the challenge at Manchester United.
In recent weeks, Real Madrid president Florentino Perez made initial advances towards Thiago, believing a move for the midfielder would soften the blow of Barcelona signing Neymar this summer.
Perez began investigating a move to pay off Thiago’s 18 million euro release clause and bring the Barcelona midfielder to the Bernabeu along with Spanish Under-21 team mate Isco.
But, Thiago and his advisers, including his father Mazinho, were not interested in moving to Real Madrid, especially as this would be seen as “revenge” at the Nou Camp.
Sport add that Manchester United are the club that excites Thiago the most and he has been reassured a starting spot in David Moyes’ side.
Bayern Munich remain in the hunt for Thiago and are eyeing developments, but if Manchester United activate the 18 million euro release clause, a deal could happen at any time.
Meanwhile, after Thiago’s rejection, Real Madrid turned their attentions to Thiago’s Spanish Under-21 team mate Asier Illarramendi.