The worst decision of the weekend! How did Stoke win a late penalty v Swansea?!
“The referees are not allowed to say anything and I have to be careful what I say otherwise I will get a fine or a sanction. Of course we can all make mistakes and say we are sorry, the players can do the same. But it would be nice if the referee said ‘sorry it was a mistake’. Maybe it hit Wayne’s arm. But it is not always handball if it touches you. Like I say, whenever there is a handball there are players trying to do something to make the referee give handball. But there were seven Stoke players in the box, none of them asking for the penalty.” – Michael Laudrup.
The worst referee decision of the weekend came at Swansea versus Stoke on Sunday and referee Robert Madley has a lot of explaining to do…
Swansea had turned a 2-0 deficit into a 3-2 lead against Stoke, chiefly thanks to a brace from Wilfried Bony.
In the final seconds of second half injury time Stoke poured men forward and attacked with a succession of set pieces.
Robert Huth won a header, knocked it down and Madley saw an infringement.
Was it a handball from Wayne Routledge, or perhaps Angel Rangel, either way it was a terrible decision.
Especially if you look at the view Madley had of the incident, see picture above.
Video of the match can be seen below, with the scandalous penalty decision coming towards the end of the clip.
Before the video is Angel Rangel’s brilliant/furious reaction to the late penalty call.
Watch Live Stream
- Mark Hughes reacted badly to a question about Aaron RamseyDecember 10, 2016
- Arsenal fans want Charlie Adam banned for stamping on Alexis SanchezDecember 10, 2016
- Arsenal v Stoke: Premier League preview, line-ups & predictionsDecember 9, 2016
- Xherdan Shaqiri talks about why Granit Xhaka isn’t starting for Arsenal [Blick]December 6, 2016
- Swansea legend Lee Trundle scores awesome trick penalty (video)December 5, 2016
- Mauricio Pochettino cites Michael Owen dive to defend Spurs midfielderDecember 5, 2016
- Explosive claims may finally reveal why Michael Laudrup was mysteriously axed from Swansea in 2014December 4, 2016
- Dele Alli lampooned on the BBC for his dive v Swansea (Video)December 3, 2016