The worst decision of the weekend! How did Stoke win a late penalty v Swansea?!
“The referees are not allowed to say anything and I have to be careful what I say otherwise I will get a fine or a sanction. Of course we can all make mistakes and say we are sorry, the players can do the same. But it would be nice if the referee said ‘sorry it was a mistake’. Maybe it hit Wayne’s arm. But it is not always handball if it touches you. Like I say, whenever there is a handball there are players trying to do something to make the referee give handball. But there were seven Stoke players in the box, none of them asking for the penalty.” – Michael Laudrup.
The worst referee decision of the weekend came at Swansea versus Stoke on Sunday and referee Robert Madley has a lot of explaining to do…
Swansea had turned a 2-0 deficit into a 3-2 lead against Stoke, chiefly thanks to a brace from Wilfried Bony.
In the final seconds of second half injury time Stoke poured men forward and attacked with a succession of set pieces.
Robert Huth won a header, knocked it down and Madley saw an infringement.
Was it a handball from Wayne Routledge, or perhaps Angel Rangel, either way it was a terrible decision.
Especially if you look at the view Madley had of the incident, see picture above.
Video of the match can be seen below, with the scandalous penalty decision coming towards the end of the clip.
Before the video is Angel Rangel’s brilliant/furious reaction to the late penalty call.
Watch Live Stream
- Liverpool defender Mamadou Sakho rejects loan move to Stoke City [Telegraph & Mirror]August 29, 2016
- Peter Crouch explains why he gave away his match ball after Stoke win (Video)August 24, 2016
- Joe Allen on the brutal way he learned about his move from Liverpool to Stoke [Telegraph]August 19, 2016
- Stoke v Man City: Premier League preview, line-ups and predictionsAugust 18, 2016
- Swansea confirm record £15.5m signing from Atletico Madrid; Borja Baston interviewed (Video)August 11, 2016
- Swansea post legendary Ashley Williams tribute video following move to Everton (Video)August 10, 2016
- Updates on Ashley Williams’ move from Swansea to Everton [Express]August 9, 2016
- West Ham spent a club record transfer fee to sign Andre Ayew from SwanseaAugust 8, 2016