- Fergie on Jose Mourinho: ‘It’s not fair, he’s too good looking! Like George Clooney now!’ [Video]
- Shocking! Dad and kids kicked out of Villa Park for celebrating Falcao’s goal in Family Stand
- Cesc Fabregas: ‘This season Barça are Messi + 10 others; he’s saving them in many games’ [Radio Marca]
- Stoke v Chelsea [Team Sheets]
- No truth in Gareth Bale to Manchester United stories, has £1bn buyout clause [Guillem Balague]
The Tweets: Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale gets panned after his Clasico debut ends in defeat at Barcelona
Gareth Bale started for Real Madrid in El Clasico, but after failing to impact the game, the most expensive football in the history of football was given the hook on the hour.
Bale, who failed to have a proper pre-season due to injury and his protracted transfer from Tottenham to Madrid, has gotten off to a slow start at the Santiago Bernabeu as the Welshman slowly gains his match fitness.
Nevertheless, despite those legitimate reasons for Bale’s failure to take Spain by storm in his first months at Real, plenty of haters jumped on the former Spurs forward’s back after an anonymous display against the Catalans.
Bale’s difficult night in the Nou Camp appeared to be summed up by an image of the Welshman on the bench after he was subbed for Karim Benzema (see above).
A series of the critical tweets levelled at Gareth Bale are below.
Gareth Bale's El Clasico Debut: 54% pass completion rate, 0% take-on success, 0% cross success, 2 fouls & 1 yellow card. Absolutely abject.
— Squawka Football (@Squawka) October 26, 2013
GARETH BALE: £85m transfer fee £300,000 a week in wages 5 Touches 2 Dives 1 Yellow Well played Real Madrid.
— Football Jokes (@LaughingFooty) October 26, 2013
Still hard to believe that Gareth Bale played for 60 minutes while Isco played for, well, 0.
— Eric Beard (@BeardEric) October 26, 2013
Bale's situation can be a learning point: If you're going to make such an expensive signing, player needs to arrive early on, not later.
— Steve Amoia (@worldfootballcm) October 26, 2013
Buying bale and selling Ozil was one of the stupidest decision Madrid ever made
— Nikhil Puri (@nikhil_puri7) October 26, 2013
- Updated: October 26, 2013