- Liverpool target Aston Villa’s Fabian Delph as Steven Gerrard replacement [Mirror]
- Eden Hazard agrees £52m Chelsea deal taking him through to 2020 [Sun]
- FC United of Manchester sing songs for Eric Cantona and The Busby Babes [Video]
- Jose Mourinho tells Talksport he was ‘inches away’ from signing Thierry Henry – for Barça!
- Spurs’ Emmanuel Adebayor posts tribute to Thierry Henry with picture of pair from Arsenal days
The Tweets after Liverpool’s Gerrard understands fans booing Man United’s Rio Ferdinand
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has courted plenty of abuse on Sunday after commenting on the rights of England fans to boo Manchester United’s Rio Ferdinand.
I think the fans have shown their frustration about Rio not being here. They’re entitled to their opinion, they pay good money to come over here. We all wanted Rio here because he’s a good player and he would have helped us over these two games. But he’s made his decision and we have to respect that.
Following Gerrard’s semi-controversial comments, Twitter has seen a torrent of abuse levelled at the Reds’ midfielder.
A handful of the best/worst tweets can be read below.
Steven Gerrard has never met a subject he couldn’t say something stupid about.
— Surge Biscuits (@NoHeroesHere) March 24, 2013
There are two types of people commenting on Gerrard/Rio – outraged blinkered United fans, and rational people who agree with Gerrard.
— Stevo (@Stevo_j) March 24, 2013
— John Bailey (@BaileyJB74) March 24, 2013
@1robbeasley Gerrard is a disgrace, and openly endorses such disgraceful chants about Rio. Just hope Montenegro wipe the smirk off his face
— Paul Kelleher (@paul9705) March 24, 2013
- Updated: March 24, 2013