The Times claim “Paul Pogba could make Man United return as part of rebuilding”
- January 14, 2014
As Manchester United fret about the sorry state of their midfield, one name keeps cropping up: Paul Pogba.
The French central midfielder left Old Trafford on a free transfer a year-and-a-half ago after failing to bag many first team opportunities under Sir Alex Ferguson.
Since arriving in Turin, Pogba has been an unmitigated success.
First playing a crucial role in winning the Scudetto last season and Pogba now looks set to be a crucial cog in the Juventus side as they canter to another Serie A title.
Over the weekend there were suggestions that Manchester City would make a summer move for Pogba in the Daily Star Sunday.
Yet, in The Times today, the usually reliable Matt Dickinson, Gary Jacob and George Caulkin all pen their name to a piece that says United will move for Pogba.
The reliable broadsheet write: “Manchester United have had encouragement in their hopes of bringing Paul Pogba back to Old Trafford. The Juventus midfield player left the English club in 2012, refusing to sign a new contract, but is believed to be open to a return to the Premier League and specifically to United.”
The Times continue: “There is no chance of a deal this month, but David Moyes, who hopes to be able to spend more than £100 million rebuilding the team he inherited, is hopeful that United will lead the chase for Pogba’s signature in the summer. The 20-year-old will have two years left on his contract in Turin. The worry for United as they chase numerous targets is that they can easily be used by agents seeking to improve their clients’ deals.”
If Manchester United are to bag Pogba again they will have to pay top whack and guarantee the 20-year-old a first team spot.
The likes of PSG and Real Madrid are also interested in Pogba and his value will likely soar on the back of a strong showing at the World Cup.
At the Ballon d’Or ceremony yesterday, Zinedine Zidane said: “Is Real Madrid interested in Pogba? Everyone wants him!”
- Chelsea ready to splurge £104m on Everton’s John Stones & Paul Pogba [Mirror]
- Chelsea confident of signing Juventus star Paul Pogba in the next 7 days [Independent]
- The best goals from Serie A matchday 1 including a Stevan Jovetic golazo (video)
- Done Deal: Chelsea’s Juan Cuadrado joins Juventus on loan (Videos)
- Roma v Juventus: Watch a Live Stream
- Chelsea target Paul Pogba took the worst free kick of all time for Juventus (Video)
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...