The story of how Tottenham turned their noses up at buying Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling [Michael Calvin]
- June 18, 2014
Football journalist Michael Calvin is releasing a new book – The Nowhere Men – and in it is an interesting story about how Tottenham turned their noses up at buying Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling.
The story has been printed by the Telegraph in PR exercise to raise attention about the book.
The cut and thrust of the story is that while Raheem Sterling was an exciting and raw talent in his early days, many seemed concerned about whether his upbringing and childhood would hinder his progress on the pitch.
As described by Calvin, Sterling story was “edgy, that of a ghetto child who owed everything to the wisdom and love of a mother, Nadine”.
After getting his chance with QPR, the story is then told about how the player came to be known by the people at Tottenham.
Sterling was a regular in pick-up games organised by Walley on a pitch marked out in the back garden of the home of Tim Sherwood, Tottenham’s technical co-ordinator.
A trial game was arranged, between Tottenham Under 15s and a Brent Schools select, featuring Sterling, who was thought to be available for £200,000.
Remarkably, Spurs turned him down, because academy coaches were split about his long-term potential and the challenges of his background.
- Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard gave a half-time speech at LA Galaxy [video]
- Liverpool lead the race for Newcastle’s Moussa Sissoko [L’Equipe]
- Man City may spend almost £100m on Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling & Kevin De Br...
- Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard unveiled at LA Galaxy during HT of Toronto rout [video]
- Internacional have sold Brazilian midfielder Allan to Liverpool for £500,000 [UOL Esporte]
- All 13 Steven Gerrard goals during final season for Liverpool [video]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi