The story of how Tottenham turned their noses up at buying Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling [Michael Calvin]
Football journalist Michael Calvin is releasing a new book – The Nowhere Men – and in it is an interesting story about how Tottenham turned their noses up at buying Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling.
The story has been printed by the Telegraph in PR exercise to raise attention about the book.
The cut and thrust of the story is that while Raheem Sterling was an exciting and raw talent in his early days, many seemed concerned about whether his upbringing and childhood would hinder his progress on the pitch.
As described by Calvin, Sterling story was “edgy, that of a ghetto child who owed everything to the wisdom and love of a mother, Nadine”.
After getting his chance with QPR, the story is then told about how the player came to be known by the people at Tottenham.
Sterling was a regular in pick-up games organised by Walley on a pitch marked out in the back garden of the home of Tim Sherwood, Tottenham’s technical co-ordinator.
A trial game was arranged, between Tottenham Under 15s and a Brent Schools select, featuring Sterling, who was thought to be available for £200,000.
Remarkably, Spurs turned him down, because academy coaches were split about his long-term potential and the challenges of his background.
Watch Live Stream
- Liverpool target Raphael Guerreiro savages Journo claiming Dortmund move is close [Tweet]May 27th, 2016
- Liverpool’s Marko Grujic reveals some bad news on SnapChatMay 26th, 2016
- Mixed reports on whether Liverpool have actually bid for Lorient’s Raphael GuerreiroMay 26th, 2016
- Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge urges Mario Gotze to leave amid Liverpool interestMay 26th, 2016
- KSI and Manny take on Manchester City’s Raheem Sterling in crossbar challenge (Video)May 6th, 2016
- KSI & Raheem Sterling take over Manchester City’s Snapchat (Video)April 28th, 2016
- Manchester City stars react to their UCL Semi Final draw against Real Madrid (Video)April 15th, 2016
- Liverpool celebrate Jon Flanagan contract with highlights reel feat. Sterling tackle (Video)March 19th, 2016
- Tottenham star Christian Eriksen admits finishing below Arsenal was “infuriating” [BT]May 27th, 2016
- Tottenham set to sign Croatian playmaker Ante Coric for €4m [TMW]May 27th, 2016
- Man United-bound Zlatan Ibrahimovic rejects offer from Tottenham [Di Marzio]May 27th, 2016
- Tottenham agree kit deal with Nike, far lower than Chelsea’s [Times]May 25th, 2016