The story of how Tottenham turned their noses up at buying Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling [Michael Calvin]
Football journalist Michael Calvin is releasing a new book – The Nowhere Men – and in it is an interesting story about how Tottenham turned their noses up at buying Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling.
The story has been printed by the Telegraph in PR exercise to raise attention about the book.
The cut and thrust of the story is that while Raheem Sterling was an exciting and raw talent in his early days, many seemed concerned about whether his upbringing and childhood would hinder his progress on the pitch.
As described by Calvin, Sterling story was “edgy, that of a ghetto child who owed everything to the wisdom and love of a mother, Nadine”.
After getting his chance with QPR, the story is then told about how the player came to be known by the people at Tottenham.
Sterling was a regular in pick-up games organised by Walley on a pitch marked out in the back garden of the home of Tim Sherwood, Tottenham’s technical co-ordinator.
A trial game was arranged, between Tottenham Under 15s and a Brent Schools select, featuring Sterling, who was thought to be available for £200,000.
Remarkably, Spurs turned him down, because academy coaches were split about his long-term potential and the challenges of his background.
Watch Live Stream
- Liverpool’s Mamadou Sakho handed lifeline by Jurgen Klopp with under-23 chanceSeptember 28, 2016
- Liverpool’s Sadio Mane wins a Premier League awardSeptember 28, 2016
- Chelsea & Liverpool stars battle Kevin De Bruyne & Michail Antonio for a Premier League awardSeptember 27, 2016
- Twitter falls madly in love with Jurgen Klopp during amazing MNF performance [Tweets]September 26, 2016
- Jurgen Klopp spectacularly over-estimates Raheem Sterling’s transfer fee to Man City (Video)September 23, 2016
- Manchester City’s Raheem Sterling on ‘unfair criticism’ he received last season (Video)September 12, 2016
- Raheem Sterling bemused at being told he’s been ‘reborn’ post-Man City 3 – West Ham 1 (Video)August 28, 2016
- Pep Guardiola’s supportive text message to Raheem Sterling during his tough Euro 2016August 28, 2016
- Spurs players celebrate CSKA win on InstagramSeptember 28, 2016
- Hilarious: Georges-Kevin N’Koudou praises his own performance [Tweet]September 27, 2016
- Heung-Min Son scores again as Spurs beat CSKA Moscow (Video)September 27, 2016
- Spurs (Son) and Leicester (Islam Slimani) record big wins in the Champions LeagueSeptember 27, 2016