The story of how Tottenham turned their noses up at buying Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling [Michael Calvin]
Football journalist Michael Calvin is releasing a new book – The Nowhere Men – and in it is an interesting story about how Tottenham turned their noses up at buying Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling.
The story has been printed by the Telegraph in PR exercise to raise attention about the book.
The cut and thrust of the story is that while Raheem Sterling was an exciting and raw talent in his early days, many seemed concerned about whether his upbringing and childhood would hinder his progress on the pitch.
As described by Calvin, Sterling story was “edgy, that of a ghetto child who owed everything to the wisdom and love of a mother, Nadine”.
After getting his chance with QPR, the story is then told about how the player came to be known by the people at Tottenham.
Sterling was a regular in pick-up games organised by Walley on a pitch marked out in the back garden of the home of Tim Sherwood, Tottenham’s technical co-ordinator.
A trial game was arranged, between Tottenham Under 15s and a Brent Schools select, featuring Sterling, who was thought to be available for £200,000.
Remarkably, Spurs turned him down, because academy coaches were split about his long-term potential and the challenges of his background.
Watch Live Stream
- Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool are worse at defending than under Brendan RodgersDecember 7, 2016
- Liverpool pair Lucas & Mignolet post pictures from Barcelona CL matchDecember 7, 2016
- Liverpool’s Loris Karius is actually outperforming Man United’s David De GeaDecember 7, 2016
- Liverpool fans will love Dirk Kuyt’s story about the stick he took from Manchester United fans (Video)December 6, 2016
- Man City winger Raheem Sterling & family pull off a mannequin challenge (Video)November 12, 2016
- Hypocrites: The Daily Star’s latest attack on Man City’s Raheem Sterling is completely insaneNovember 3, 2016
- Man City’s Raheem Sterling reveals why he decided to leave LiverpoolNovember 3, 2016
- Man City’s Raheem Sterling booked for diving v Barcelona; it looked like a penalty (Video)November 1, 2016
- Steve McManaman slams Spurs for using Wembley as an excuse for Champions League failure (Video)December 8, 2016
- Christian Eriksen’s performance praised as Tottenham beat CSKA Moscow 3-1 [Tweets]December 7, 2016
- Dele Alli & Harry Kane turn things around for Tottenham v CSKA Moscow (Video)December 7, 2016
- Spurs turn it around v CSKA and look set to lift Wembley Curse [Tweets]December 7, 2016