Awful: Last picture of Dutch lino Richard Nieuwenhuizen, beaten to death by teenagers
- December 11, 2012
It’s been a tragic week for football in Holland.
Just over seven days ago appalling news hit the wires that an amateur linesman, Richard Nieuwenhuizen, had lost his life after three teenagers playing for SV Nieuw Sloten had attacked him during a football match.
The news rocked the world of football – how could such a heinous crime have been committed by people so young during a football match?! – and a week on, there is still are no good answers to make sense of this appalling loss of life.
There has however been one significant development in the past few days as Dutch paper De Telegraaf have splashed their front page with the first published image of the savage attack.
Under the bold monochrome headline ‘Waanzin’ (‘Frenzy’), the grainy pictue shows a defenseless Richard Nieuwenhuizen laid out on the floor surrounded by a series of young faces.
Nieuwenhuizen was buried in Almere, near Amsterdam, on Monday.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...