Awful: Last picture of Dutch lino Richard Nieuwenhuizen, beaten to death by teenagers
- December 11, 2012
It’s been a tragic week for football in Holland.
Just over seven days ago appalling news hit the wires that an amateur linesman, Richard Nieuwenhuizen, had lost his life after three teenagers playing for SV Nieuw Sloten had attacked him during a football match.
The news rocked the world of football – how could such a heinous crime have been committed by people so young during a football match?! – and a week on, there is still are no good answers to make sense of this appalling loss of life.
There has however been one significant development in the past few days as Dutch paper De Telegraaf have splashed their front page with the first published image of the savage attack.
Under the bold monochrome headline ‘Waanzin’ (‘Frenzy’), the grainy pictue shows a defenseless Richard Nieuwenhuizen laid out on the floor surrounded by a series of young faces.
Nieuwenhuizen was buried in Almere, near Amsterdam, on Monday.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi