The PR War: France and Ukraine trade chicken-based insults ahead of their World Cup playoff tie [Pictures]
The Gallic rooster (le coq gaulois) is the well-known unofficial national symbol of France, and the animal has found itself front and centre of a new PR war between Les Bleus and the Ukraine.
As the nations prepare to meet in a pivotal World Cup playoff on Friday night, two new adverts have come out in which France and Ukraine one-up each other using the chicken as a prop.
According to the supposed chronology, the French were to first to fire with an image of their rooster sitting in a Ukrainian hat with the phrase “nous serons en ukraine comme à la maison” (“We will be at home in the Ukraine”).
The eastern Europeans, however, haven’t taken that PR shot lying down, hitting back with their own advert stating “We eat chicken like that for breakfast.”
The France v Ukraine chicken-based insults can be enjoyed below.
Watch Live Stream
- Real Madrid defender Raphael Varane ruled out of Euro 2016 with injuryMay 24th, 2016
- Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba talks Zinedine Zidane and France’s chances in Euro 2016 (Video)May 21st, 2016
- Hatem Ben Arfa scores cracker at France training (Video)May 19th, 2016
- Anthony Martial & N’Golo Kante named in France’s Euro 2016 Squad (Video)May 13th, 2016
- Andriy Yarmolenko fires Ukraine to a 1-0 win over Wales (Official Video)March 29th, 2016
- Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho was scouting Andriy Yarmolenko last night [AS]October 13th, 2015
- Fail! Ukraine midfielder Oleh Gusev lashed the ball at his own face during game against Lithuania...November 20th, 2014
- Insane! Ukrainian substitute punches referee in the face in Rivne Supercup match [Video]November 11th, 2014