The penalty decision that sparked a riot at Senegal v Ivory Coast
- October 14, 2012
“Unfortunately the match ended in very sombre circumstances. The referee was forced to stop in the match in the 72nd minute with the score at 2-0 because of serious outbreaks in the stands by very unhappy Senegalese supporters. The police took the public out after many confrontations.” – Senegalese Football Federation.
The second leg play-off match between Senegal and Ivory Coast had to be halted in the 70th minute on Saturday night with the home fans in uproar over a penalty awarded to Yaya Toure and put away by Didier Drogba for his second of the match.
In truth, the two-legged tie was all but over with Ivory Coast 5-2 up on aggregate and heading for the African Nations Cup in South Africa at the beginning of 2013.
Senegal’s home support were incensed by a penalty decision awarded for a foul on Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure – it can be seen on the video below followed by the shocking scenes.
What followed, including rioting and fire crackers is unforgivable and all too familiar in African football – the fact it took place in the marquee match of the continent’s most important tournament is very sad.
Both sets of players were forced to head to the centre circle with the Ivory Coast supporters joining their players on the pitch. After 40 minutes of chaos the match was abandoned.
Ivory Coast will almost certainly be awarded their spot at the African Nations Cup this coming week. The second video below shows the aftermath of the riots.
[jwplayer config=”For-all-videos” mediaid=”245283″]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...