The penalty decision that sparked a riot at Senegal v Ivory Coast
- October 14, 2012
“Unfortunately the match ended in very sombre circumstances. The referee was forced to stop in the match in the 72nd minute with the score at 2-0 because of serious outbreaks in the stands by very unhappy Senegalese supporters. The police took the public out after many confrontations.” – Senegalese Football Federation.
The second leg play-off match between Senegal and Ivory Coast had to be halted in the 70th minute on Saturday night with the home fans in uproar over a penalty awarded to Yaya Toure and put away by Didier Drogba for his second of the match.
In truth, the two-legged tie was all but over with Ivory Coast 5-2 up on aggregate and heading for the African Nations Cup in South Africa at the beginning of 2013.
Senegal’s home support were incensed by a penalty decision awarded for a foul on Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure – it can be seen on the video below followed by the shocking scenes.
What followed, including rioting and fire crackers is unforgivable and all too familiar in African football – the fact it took place in the marquee match of the continent’s most important tournament is very sad.
Both sets of players were forced to head to the centre circle with the Ivory Coast supporters joining their players on the pitch. After 40 minutes of chaos the match was abandoned.
Ivory Coast will almost certainly be awarded their spot at the African Nations Cup this coming week. The second video below shows the aftermath of the riots.
[jwplayer config=”For-all-videos” mediaid=”245283″]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi