- Brendan Rodgers beginning to doubt whether Mario Balotelli is technically good enough for Liverpool [Mail]
- Wenger on why Sanchez chose Arsenal over Liverpool: ‘Simple. Champions League continuity’ [Star]
- Man City boss Pellegrini: ‘All 3 strikers (Aguero, Dzeko, Jovetic) are out for Crystal Palace’ [Video]
- Divock Origi set to join up with Liverpool in Jan, Rodgers & co to pay Lille €6m extra [L'Equipe]
- Chelsea’s Oscar has ‘Family Fitness Day’ with his wife and sister…
The officials had a nightmare during QPR v Bournemouth, Joey Barton slams them on Twitter
Referee Andy Woolmer and his assistant linesman had a bit of a shocker in the first half of QPR’s 3-0 win over Bournemouth.
With the match still goalless in the first half, Andy Johnson feathered a ball from midfield towards striker Charlie Austin, however Cherries centre-half Tommy Elphick looked to have the danger covered as he closed down the Rangers forward.
But then Elphick slipped and the chaos started to unravel.
As the number 5 hit the deck the defender handled the ball just outside the box. Loftus Road screamed for a penalty, the referee clearly didn’t see what happened, and the linesman confusingly raised his flag.
After a long winded chat on the sidelines it became clear that the linesman was sure the handball was outside the box. In that regard the officials were correct.
But incredibly, amid all the penalty/non-penalty kerfuffle, Elphick managed to escape the incident without even a booking. Surely, as the last man, the Bournemouth defender needed to be sent off?
As was to be expected, QPR midfielder Joey Barton – who was constantly in the thick of the action as the officials bungled along – has since spoken out about the event on Twitter.
Watch the incident and read Joey Barton’s thoughts (start from the bottom!) below.
- Updated: December 4, 2013