The officials had a nightmare during QPR v Bournemouth, Joey Barton slams them on Twitter
- December 4, 2013
Referee Andy Woolmer and his assistant linesman had a bit of a shocker in the first half of QPR’s 3-0 win over Bournemouth.
With the match still goalless in the first half, Andy Johnson feathered a ball from midfield towards striker Charlie Austin, however Cherries centre-half Tommy Elphick looked to have the danger covered as he closed down the Rangers forward.
But then Elphick slipped and the chaos started to unravel.
As the number 5 hit the deck the defender handled the ball just outside the box. Loftus Road screamed for a penalty, the referee clearly didn’t see what happened, and the linesman confusingly raised his flag.
After a long winded chat on the sidelines it became clear that the linesman was sure the handball was outside the box. In that regard the officials were correct.
But incredibly, amid all the penalty/non-penalty kerfuffle, Elphick managed to escape the incident without even a booking. Surely, as the last man, the Bournemouth defender needed to be sent off?
As was to be expected, QPR midfielder Joey Barton – who was constantly in the thick of the action as the officials bungled along – has since spoken out about the event on Twitter.
Watch the incident and read Joey Barton’s thoughts (start from the bottom!) below.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...