The officials had a nightmare during QPR v Bournemouth, Joey Barton slams them on Twitter
- December 4, 2013
Referee Andy Woolmer and his assistant linesman had a bit of a shocker in the first half of QPR’s 3-0 win over Bournemouth.
With the match still goalless in the first half, Andy Johnson feathered a ball from midfield towards striker Charlie Austin, however Cherries centre-half Tommy Elphick looked to have the danger covered as he closed down the Rangers forward.
But then Elphick slipped and the chaos started to unravel.
As the number 5 hit the deck the defender handled the ball just outside the box. Loftus Road screamed for a penalty, the referee clearly didn’t see what happened, and the linesman confusingly raised his flag.
After a long winded chat on the sidelines it became clear that the linesman was sure the handball was outside the box. In that regard the officials were correct.
But incredibly, amid all the penalty/non-penalty kerfuffle, Elphick managed to escape the incident without even a booking. Surely, as the last man, the Bournemouth defender needed to be sent off?
As was to be expected, QPR midfielder Joey Barton – who was constantly in the thick of the action as the officials bungled along – has since spoken out about the event on Twitter.
Watch the incident and read Joey Barton’s thoughts (start from the bottom!) below.
- Joey Barton reveals he turned down a big money move to Switzerland to join Burnley (BBC...
- Joey Barton airs his thoughts on Everton and Chelsea’s John Stones tug-of-war (Vi...
- Joey Barton may be regretting this 2014 Tweet now that he has to live in Burnley
- Joey Barton gives his first interview as a Burnley player (Video)
- Joey Barton’s move from QPR to West Ham collapses, midfielder posts video to expl...
- West Ham set to sign Joey Barton after owner David Gold previously called him “vi...
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...