The officials had a nightmare during QPR v Bournemouth, Joey Barton slams them on Twitter
Referee Andy Woolmer and his assistant linesman had a bit of a shocker in the first half of QPR’s 3-0 win over Bournemouth.
With the match still goalless in the first half, Andy Johnson feathered a ball from midfield towards striker Charlie Austin, however Cherries centre-half Tommy Elphick looked to have the danger covered as he closed down the Rangers forward.
But then Elphick slipped and the chaos started to unravel.
As the number 5 hit the deck the defender handled the ball just outside the box. Loftus Road screamed for a penalty, the referee clearly didn’t see what happened, and the linesman confusingly raised his flag.
After a long winded chat on the sidelines it became clear that the linesman was sure the handball was outside the box. In that regard the officials were correct.
But incredibly, amid all the penalty/non-penalty kerfuffle, Elphick managed to escape the incident without even a booking. Surely, as the last man, the Bournemouth defender needed to be sent off?
As was to be expected, QPR midfielder Joey Barton – who was constantly in the thick of the action as the officials bungled along – has since spoken out about the event on Twitter.
Watch the incident and read Joey Barton’s thoughts (start from the bottom!) below.
Watch Live Stream
- Rangers midfielder Joey Barton reacts to Celtic CL progression with a clip from SnatchAugust 24, 2016
- Joey Barton couldn’t hide his amusement at Ireland’s defence v Belgium (Video)June 19, 2016
- Done Deal: Former Burnley midfielder Joey Barton joins Rangers (Official Video)May 24, 2016
- Done Deal: Joey Barton confirms he’s leaving Burnley for RangersMay 23, 2016
- QPR v Leeds: Online Live Streaming video [HD] 2016-08-07August 1, 2016
- Hilarious skills: QPR wonderkid Mide Shodipo makes fool of himself in training (Video)July 10, 2016
- Shocking: QPR’s Steven Caulker shares video of man being run over by insane driver (Video)June 26, 2016
- Exceptional picture of an angry kiss between QPR’s Nedum Onuoha & Reading’s Deniss RakelsApril 24, 2016