The Mirror make up quotes about Willian calling Chelsea a “better club than Spurs”
- September 12, 2013
Journalist and known Arsenal fan John Cross appears to have stoked the fires of London rivalry in the Daily Mirror with some made up quotes from new Chelsea signing Willian.
The following alleged quotes from Willian are already doing the rounds on Thursday morning, printed by the Daily Mirror here: “I always wanted to go to Chelsea. Chelsea presented an offer and it was always my dream to go there. Chelsea is a better club than Tottenham in every aspect. I have spoken with my fellow Brazilians at the club, especially David Luiz. I am also happy to play for Jose Mourinho. That was definitive in my decision.”
There isn’t any doubt that Chelsea are currently a better club than Tottenham. Trophies recently won, league positions in the last 10 years, current stadium size etc. all point to the Blues being bigger than Spurs.
And, Willian is likely to be one of the most hated players at White Hart Lane this coming season after pulling out of his medical at Spurs to sign for Chelsea.
But, in fairness to the Brazilian midfielder, he did not “Troll” Spurs in an interview given to Brazilian paper Globoesporte two days ago.
Willian actually said the following on rejecting Tottenham for Chelsea: “It is part of the negotiations. I always wanted to play for Chelsea, especially under Mister Mourinho, who is the best in the world at what he does. When I have been in London, I came to watch their games. So, I am more than happy to have arrived there.”
The Brazilian schemer, who is tipped to start for Chelsea at Everton on Saturday by Globoesporte, also said: “Chelsea arrived with an offer, and everyone knew of my desire to play for the club since I was at Shakhtar. I did not even have to think twice. The two presidents (Kerimov and Roman Abramovich) are friends, that also helped. Brazilians at Chelsea also called me, especially David Luiz, who told me to come soon. I was also very happy to have them around. Certainly this will help me a lot.”
Willian does not mention the fact that he will be on a larger salary at Chelsea as compared to what he would have earned at Spurs – but it feels like in this interview he was trying to avoid winding up a London rival and a manager in Andre Villas-Boas who he knows well.
- Jose Mourinho: Crystal Palace were lucky & singles out 1 Chelsea player (video)
- Yannick Bolasie posts classy Instagram post after Crystal Palace win at Chelsea
- Chelsea Stats: Jose Mourinho’s last 7 EPL defeats have come v managers with surna...
- Jose Mourinho hails Brazilian starlet Kenedy after Chelsea 1 – Crystal Palace 2 (...
- Chelsea & Liverpool lose, Kamara gets the giggles: Best of Soccer Saturday (video)
- Furious Chelsea fan demands “get rid” of Branislav Ivanovic, claims loyalty...
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...