The Mirror make up quotes about Willian calling Chelsea a “better club than Spurs”
- September 12, 2013
Journalist and known Arsenal fan John Cross appears to have stoked the fires of London rivalry in the Daily Mirror with some made up quotes from new Chelsea signing Willian.
The following alleged quotes from Willian are already doing the rounds on Thursday morning, printed by the Daily Mirror here: “I always wanted to go to Chelsea. Chelsea presented an offer and it was always my dream to go there. Chelsea is a better club than Tottenham in every aspect. I have spoken with my fellow Brazilians at the club, especially David Luiz. I am also happy to play for Jose Mourinho. That was definitive in my decision.”
There isn’t any doubt that Chelsea are currently a better club than Tottenham. Trophies recently won, league positions in the last 10 years, current stadium size etc. all point to the Blues being bigger than Spurs.
And, Willian is likely to be one of the most hated players at White Hart Lane this coming season after pulling out of his medical at Spurs to sign for Chelsea.
But, in fairness to the Brazilian midfielder, he did not “Troll” Spurs in an interview given to Brazilian paper Globoesporte two days ago.
Willian actually said the following on rejecting Tottenham for Chelsea: “It is part of the negotiations. I always wanted to play for Chelsea, especially under Mister Mourinho, who is the best in the world at what he does. When I have been in London, I came to watch their games. So, I am more than happy to have arrived there.”
The Brazilian schemer, who is tipped to start for Chelsea at Everton on Saturday by Globoesporte, also said: “Chelsea arrived with an offer, and everyone knew of my desire to play for the club since I was at Shakhtar. I did not even have to think twice. The two presidents (Kerimov and Roman Abramovich) are friends, that also helped. Brazilians at Chelsea also called me, especially David Luiz, who told me to come soon. I was also very happy to have them around. Certainly this will help me a lot.”
Willian does not mention the fact that he will be on a larger salary at Chelsea as compared to what he would have earned at Spurs – but it feels like in this interview he was trying to avoid winding up a London rival and a manager in Andre Villas-Boas who he knows well.
- Chelsea agree personal terms with Asmir Begovic to replace Petr Cech [Di Marzio]
- First Interview: Petr Cech believes his experience can help Arsenal win the title [Video]
- Kuwaiti Chelsea fan burns Petr Cech’s shirt after keeper’s move to Arsenal ...
- Chelsea fan trolls Petr Čech’s Wikipedia page following move to Arsenal
- Snake: Angry Chelsea fans turn on new Arsenal keeper Petr Cech [Tweets]
- Petr Cech & Theo Walcott share banter on Twitter after Arsenal move
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi