Mad Story: How Spurs’ pursuit of Chiriches was called off by Steaua’s owner from jail
- July 31, 2013
Sometimes transfers fail to go through technical reasons like work permits or medical issues, and sometimes it’s just because the people involved in the deal are stark raving mad.
The next story belongs to the latter category.
Over the past 24 hours, Tottenham fans had their hopes raised that Steaua Bucharest’s highly-rated defender Vlad Chiriches would move to White Hart Lane for around 8 million euros. Chiriches was suppose to be drafted into the Spurs squad as Steven Caulker headed to Cardiff, but on Wednesday night the deal for 23-year-old went dead.
According to reports in Romania, the plug was pulled on the deal by Steaua’s madcap owner Gigi Becali from jail.
Becali is currently serving a three year prison sentence for abuses of power. Previously Becali was a Member of the European Parliament whilst he has also been an MP in Romania.
Becali’s blood was reportedly sent boiling after Tottenham were unwilling to wait for Steaua to complete the deal after their Champions League qualifier against Dinamo Tbilisi, with the second leg set to take place on August 6.
According to Steaua manager Mihai Stoica, Becali called him up and told him the following:
Who are Tottenham?! Do not do any transfer, my name is Gigi Becali, I’m not a slave to anybody! We have an important game in the Champions League, why can’t they wait?
Until winter he will not leave under any circumstances. This could be a blow to Chiriches, but he should understand. He owes a lot to Steaua. Things are good, we are in qualifying for the Champions League. We are in good shape.
[Tottenham] made a big mistake. They sparked anger in Gigi.
- West Ham are in talks with Tottenham over Emmanuel Adebayor (Sky Sports Video)
- Why Erik Lamela’s move from Tottenham to Marseille collapsed [L’Equipe]
- Alexandre Pato posts Instagram update on his possible move to Tottenham
- Spurs flop Erik Lamela is close to joining Marseille on loan (Di Marzio)
- Spurs’ Nacer Chadli & Moussa Dembélé work at the Diables Rouges call centre ...
- Spurs could have bought Anthony Martial for €25m this summer, Man United now spending €...
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...