The French footballer who 1st did the ‘quenelle’ goal celebration in January publicly defends Nicolas Anelka
- December 29, 2013
And so the issue rolls on…
Montpellier defender Mathieu Deplagne, 22, who was the first footballer to display the ‘quenelle’ goal celebration back in January 2013 (see above), has come out in defence of West Brom striker Nicolas Anelka on Sunday.
Noticeably, after Deplagne pulled the goal celebration in French League Cup at the start of the year, not only was no issue largely ignored but, moreover, his behaviour was splashed on the front page of a newspaper without any significant backlash.
Speaking to BFMTV, Deplagne categorically denied that the ‘quenelle’ goal celebration is racist and/or anti-Semitic, while the defender claimed that a political storm is being whipped up by mischievous people in politics and the media.
Deplagne told BFMTV:
It’s simple, it was a tribute to comedian Dieudonné. I went to see his show and I promised him that I will make a little dedication when I will score a goal. There is no political or anti-Semitic connotation as I could see. This is really a tribute the comedian.
I’d gladly do it again. For me, there really is no racist connotation as I could hear. It is a gesture that has no relation to anti-Semitism. The media and politicians are trying to hurt him and I find this a damaging process.
It is a gimmick. Just that.
In the locker room we often talk about it because many players also like the comedian. We laugh more than anything else, and we laughed after my gesture too. But I had no negative message.
- Former Arsenal & Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka becomes a player manager in India ...
- Manchester United win #TBT with Vine of Van der Sar’s save on Anelka in Moscow
- Nicolas Anelka advises Paul Pogba to go to Chelsea or Real Madrid
- Free kick golazo! Nicolas Anelka scores his first goal since ‘La Quenelle’ ...
- Former Chelsea, Arsenal & Liverpool striker confirms he’s joined Mumbai FC i...
- Nicolas Anelka wins Quenelle award from French anti-semitic comedian Dieudonné
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi