- Schalke’s Dennis Aogo has volunteered getting food to the needy for Xmas with his mum [Pictures]
- Rio Ferdinand dresses as Santa, tells people not to drink too much over Christmas [Instagram]
- The FIFA 2015 HONEST trailer is Awesome!!! [Video]
- Louis van Gaal’s Christmas message features some cracking recent Man United goals!
- Neymar bleaches his beard white for Christmas!
The financial reasons behind Didier Drogba signing for Galatasaray
“The opportunity to play for this great club was an offer that I could not turn down. I am looking forward to playing in the Champions League again, against the best clubs in Europe.” – Didier Drogba.
Galatasaray Tweeted the picture on the left to celebrate their capture of Didier Drogba and who could blame fans of the Turkish giants for being very excited having secured Wesley Sneijder and the Ivorian in the same transfer window.
With all due respect to the awesome charity work Didier Drogba does through his charity foundation, this deal is all about money, bundles of it.
According to reports in Turkey, Didier Drogba’s one-and-a-half year deal at Galatasaray breaks down as follows:
- 4 million euro signing on fee.
- 2 million euros for the rest of the season.
- 4 million euros for 2013/2014.
- 15,000 euro bonus for every match played.
A couple of other points. Schalke will be wondering how their supposed easy draw in the Champions League just got a lot harder.
And, with Turkey only having a 15% tax rate, many big players could well end up there, but how does this fit in to UEFA’s financial fair play regulations?
- Updated: January 28, 2013