- FACT: Cristiano Ronaldo has scored in each of his last 12 CL matches, overtakes Raul
- Roberto Mancini reveals ambition to manage Arsenal and the Italian national team
- Playboy! Ref at Ludogorets v Liverpool gives a tacky wink to the camera before kick off [Vine]
- Rickie Lambert pre-match interview: That first Liverpool goal meant so much to me [Video]
- Golazo! Kazumasa Uesato scores a special inswinging free-kick in Japan [Video]
The Champions League draw: Expect Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool & Chelsea to go through!
As ever, putting the best 32 teams in Europe together has produced a fascinating draw.
An early thought and explanation: All four English teams should go through.
As is so often the case, it looks like Chelsea have an easy draw.
Schalke, Sporting and a Portuguese return for Jose Mourinho should prove no problem for Chelsea.
Mourinho right now pic.twitter.com/ez95ZLp2CM
— Manchester United™ (@ManUtdDebates) August 28, 2014
Similarly, Arsenal’s group is winnable. Borussia Dortmund should hold no fear having faced them in three of the last four group phases.
Whilst on paper Arsenal should progress past Anderlecht and Galatasaray.
Liverpool have drawn the glamour tie – holders Real Madrid – full of Galacticos – but in three matches in European competition, the Merseyside giants have beaten the Spaniards every time.
Real Madrid have struggled at Anfield before! pic.twitter.com/UEOb1xfYE7
— 101 Great Goals (@102greatgoals) August 28, 2014
Basel are unlikely to be the force they were under Paulo Sousa with highly rated coach Murat Yakin having departed. And, despite the heroics of Cosmin Moti, Liverpool should finish second at a minimum in Group B.
Finally, Manchester City have bagged a tough draw again. Bayern, a trip to Russia and Roma (Ashley Cole).
Manuel Pellegrini will have to play smart with his reduced (due to FFP) Manchester City squad.
- Updated: August 28, 2014