The best of the Twitter reaction to Belgium’s 2-1 comeback win over Algeria
For a while there, the football hipsters team of choice were not living up to their dark horses tip for the World Cup.
Belgium conceded a first half goal to Algeria after Jan Vertonghen gave a penalty away converted by Sofiane Feghouli.
It is fair to say that Marc Wilmots’ second half substitutions changed the game.
Marouane Fellaini headed home the equaliser before Dries Mertens finished off a flowing move for 2-1.
Kevin De Bruyne was at the heart of things whilst Spurs midfielders Mousa Dembele and Nacer Chadli were poor.
For the Red Devils though, this was an important win and the character shown could be crucial later on in the tournament.
Best of the Twitter reaction to Algeria 1 – Belgium 2 is below.
A timeline of Belgium’s game (using Belgian comics): pic.twitter.com/CmI76nCB54
— Tom Coast (@thcoast) June 17, 2014
— Squawka Football (@Squawka) June 17, 2014
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) June 17, 2014
— KICKTV (@KICKTV) June 17, 2014
Of course, this is how you're supposed to say Dries Mertens's name: https://t.co/YhHob0Qr4V
— Paolo Bandini (@Paolo_Bandini) June 17, 2014
Really hope de Bruyne didn't pick up any first degree sunburns. Been involved in both goals. #BEL
— Alima (@AlimaHotakie) June 17, 2014
Wilmots said yesterday subs scored half of Belgium's winning goals in qualifying (not checked if true) but clearly good at changing things.
— Mark Langdon (@marklangdon) June 17, 2014
Are #BEL cool again? So hard to keep up.
— Paul Kelso (@pkelso) June 17, 2014
A dark horse walks into a bar. BARMAN: Why the long face? DARK HORSE: People doubted me. Glass of champagne, please.
— Sixth Form Poet (@sixthformpoet) June 17, 2014
Man United fans watching Fellaini scoring: pic.twitter.com/KWeMeDM9Oo
— 888sport (@888sport) June 17, 2014
— Chris Miller (@WindyCOYS) June 17, 2014
A 0-1 come back with goals from subs only happened 1 time from 2006-2010(AUS-JPN). It has happened twice in 2014 (SUI-ECU and BEL-ALG)
— MisterChip (English) (@MisterChiping) June 17, 2014
Watch Live Stream
- Leicester’s Riyad Mahrez scores a stunning free kick golazo for Algeria (Video)September 4, 2016
- Riyad Mahrez picks out Saphir Taider for Paul Scholes-esque wonder volley (Video)March 26, 2016
- Faouzi Ghoulam scores fantastic free-kick golazo for Algeria v Tanzania (video)November 18, 2015
- Algeria maestro Yacine Brahimi pulls off ridiculous nutmeg in build-up to Riyad Mahrez goal (Video)November 17, 2015
- Kevin De Bruyne’s injury may trigger a special coming together for the Hazard brothers [HLN]September 26, 2016
- Jordan Lukaku and Belgium outclassed by Spain as new era gets off to dire start [Tweets]September 1, 2016
- Roberto Martinez and Thierry Henry send a message out to Belgium supporters (Video)September 1, 2016
- Arsenal legend Thierry Henry to give his full Belgium salary to charityAugust 31, 2016