- Leo Messi writes tribute for ex Arsenal & Barcelona forward Thierry Henry on Facebook
- Brendan Rodgers praises Raheem Sterling & says Liverpool don’t have world class forwards [Video]
- Tottenham fans sing about Wembley after beating Newcastle 4-0 in QF [Video]
- Southampton preparing January move for Dutch Galatasaray star Wesley Sneijder [Mirror]
- Roy Keane confronted ex-Man United man Tom Cleverley over Aston Villa bust-up exit rumours [Sun]
That’s Man United ruled out then! Andres Iniesta set to sign new Barcelona deal in December [Sport]
The back page of the Daily Mail on Thursday claimed David Moyes was keen on signing Andres Iniesta for Manchester United.
This barely believable report was based on Marca’s suggestion yesterday that Iniesta’s contract talks with Barcelona were stalling.
Even the Daily Mail didn’t seem to believe this was likely, placing a picture of a laughing Wayne Rooney next to their back page splash.
Catalan paper Sport have since revealed that Barcelona and Iniesta are close to agreeing a new deal, a contract extension on his current agreement that lasts until 2015.
Formal negotiations have been conducted between the La Liga champions and Iniesta’s representatives since September.
Sport say Iniesta is on the verge of signing what could be the last big deal of his career but Barcelona are willing to pay the diminutive playmaker big bucks as they realise his importance to the club and what his market value is should he decide to leave.
Iniesta will be amongst the second best paid players at the club, behind Lionel Messi but on the same pay scale as Xavi, who is thought to earn 6 million euros a season.
The extension would be until 2017 with a provision for further seasons depending on games played per campaign.
Sport admit Manchester United and Manchester City have shown interest but expect the negotiations to be completed in the coming weeks with an announcement in December, before Christmas.
- Updated: November 14, 2013