Tata Martino wants Newells’ 6’4 centre half Santiago Vergini with him at Barça [SPORT]
- July 26, 2013
Tata Martino arrives at Barcelona with a pretty well-oiled squad, and is more or less satisfied with what he’s got for the season ahead.
There is one position that he’d like to strengthen though: central defence.
With Puyol’s end nigh, Gerard Pique struggling to rediscover the spark of the Treble season, and Marc Bartra not quite ready, Tata has good reason for wanting to fortify the defence.
And as is the case with many incoming managers, Tata feels like fishing from the old pond, by bringing his former centre half from Newell’s Santiago Verginini with him to Barcelona.
In terms of defensive profile, Vergini is similar to Pique, comfortable carrying the ball out from defence as Pique is (at his best). At 1m 90 to Pique’s 1m 92, Vergini is more of an athlete that Pique, quicker and with a better physical conditioning.
What’s more, he ‘has goal’, as they say in Spain, having scored an impressive 8 from defence last season.
Below are Santiago Vergini’s 2013 highlights with Newell’s Old Boys.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...