Swedish Pepsi had a negative voodoo doll campaign against Ronaldo, Portugal fans hit back on Facebook
- November 20, 2013
The PR people behind Pepsi in Sweden scored a massive own goal on Tuesday night.
In the run-up to Portugal’s triumph in Stockholm, Pepsi in Scandinavia launched a negative campaign against Cristiano Ronaldo in which the Seleccao superstar was depicted as a voodoo doll in a series of soon-to-be-dead images.
The Pepsi campaign include pictures of voodoo doll Ronaldo tied onto train tracks, suffocated by a crushed can over his head, and a picture of the doll covered from head to toe with needles.
What may have seemed like a light-hearted promotional campaign to begin with quickly backfired on Pepsi, as Portugal fans retaliated by setting up an anti-Pepsi group on Facebook.
Within 24 hours the new Facebook group has already received over 25,000 likes, and all those people have signed up to the pledge that Pepsi should now by boycotted in the Iberian state.
Pepsi have since issued an apology, saying:
We would never want to put the sport or the spirit of competition in a negative light. We regret if people were offended by the posts; they were immediately taken down. We would like to extend our apologies to all concerned.
That apology, however, is likely to fall on deaf ears as Portuguese photoshoppers go about creating their own images to counter-balance the original anti-Ronaldo campaign.
A series of the Portuguese photoshoppers pictures can be seen below.
- Cristiano Ronaldo gave very short answer when asked about Sergio Ramos move to Man Unit...
- Cristiano Ronaldo says he’s looking forward to working with Rafa Benitez….d...
- Cristiano Ronaldo flips out, cuts interview short after losing patience with questionin...
- Cristiano Ronaldo speaks about hard work and dedication in motivational new Nike advert...
- Sporting Lisbon announced Martunis signing with emotional video ft. Cristiano Ronaldo [...
- The absolutely incredible story of new Sporting Lisbon signing Martunis
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi