Sun claim that Adnan Januzaj has chosen to play for England, even though technically he’s not actually eligible
The Sun has sent the Twitter rumour mill into overdrive tonight, with their Friday front page claim that Manchester United starlet Adnan Januzaj has decided to play international football for England, from the 6 countries he has to choose from.
The Sun splash the story across their back page with some tenuous sources, failing not for the first time in doing the most basic bit of research.
Because there’s just one problem, if at Januazj has made that decision: he’s not actually eligible to play for the Three Lions after all, as detailed in this article from STV Sport.
Grant Russell explains:
”Under the terms of an agreement between England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, the Football Association have no hope of capping Januzaj should the opportunity present itself in 2018.
The “home nations” agreed to opt out of the residency rule in 2009. FIFA’s statutes state that “associations sharing a common nationality”, as is the case with the four nations, can make an agreement to remove the residency clause. Said agreement exists between the four associations.’‘
So it’s all probably a bit moot, and Janujaz will most likely declare for Belgium, Albania or Kosovo from his other options, but it hasn’t stopped the English Twittersphere getting all a flutter, though many remain skeptical as to the veracity of the story.
I hope Januzaj hasn’t chosen England. The hype would be unbearable.
— Nooruddean (@BeardedGenius) January 30, 2014
Apparently Adnan Januzaj has said he’s opted to play for England?! At least he’ll have most summers off and no burden of internationals
— Nathan (@tigerprawn777) January 30, 2014
Yes! Januzaj wants to play for England! :)
— JB (@JackkBrookks25) January 30, 2014
Januzaj can’t play for Engand. Idiots.
— Jon Warburton (@jon_warburton) January 30, 2014
Could Januzaj qualify for Wales?
— LasVegasDan (@LasVegasWI) January 30, 2014
Januzaj in an England shirt? Not for me, thanks.
— Eddie Lattimore (@EddieLattimore) January 30, 2014
Watch Live Stream
- Golazo: Man United loanee Adnan Januzaj scores sublime winner for Sunderland (Video)August 24, 2016
- Sunderland new boy Adnan Januzaj admits his favourite goal was against Sunderland (Video)August 20, 2016
- Adnan Januzaj gives first interview since joining Sunderland from Man United (Video)August 15, 2016
- Sunderland fans have a brilliant song for Man United’s Adnan Januzaj (Video)August 14, 2016
- Arsenal should start searching for a new manager as Arsene Wenger opens the door for EnglandSeptember 30, 2016
- The FA have spoken to Ralf Rangnick about becoming the new England boss [Tweets]September 29, 2016
- Gareth Southgate wants the England job on a permanent basis [Times]September 29, 2016
- Arsene Wenger briefly forgets who the England manager is after Arsenal win (Video)September 29, 2016
- The Manchester giants are going to ‘go to war’ to sign Real Madrid’s Toni Kroos [MD]September 30, 2016
- Paul Scholes is ‘certain’ that Wayne Rooney will come back for Man United’s biggest games (Video)September 30, 2016
- Jose Mourinho was furious with one of his assistants over instructions given to Paul PogbaSeptember 30, 2016
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic admits he expects more from his Man United teammates (Video)September 30, 2016