Sun claim that Adnan Januzaj has chosen to play for England, even though technically he’s not actually eligible
- January 30, 2014
The Sun has sent the Twitter rumour mill into overdrive tonight, with their Friday front page claim that Manchester United starlet Adnan Januzaj has decided to play international football for England, from the 6 countries he has to choose from.
The Sun splash the story across their back page with some tenuous sources, failing not for the first time in doing the most basic bit of research.
Because there’s just one problem, if at Januazj has made that decision: he’s not actually eligible to play for the Three Lions after all, as detailed in this article from STV Sport.
Grant Russell explains:
”Under the terms of an agreement between England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, the Football Association have no hope of capping Januzaj should the opportunity present itself in 2018.
The “home nations” agreed to opt out of the residency rule in 2009. FIFA’s statutes state that “associations sharing a common nationality”, as is the case with the four nations, can make an agreement to remove the residency clause. Said agreement exists between the four associations.’‘
So it’s all probably a bit moot, and Janujaz will most likely declare for Belgium, Albania or Kosovo from his other options, but it hasn’t stopped the English Twittersphere getting all a flutter, though many remain skeptical as to the veracity of the story.
I hope Januzaj hasn’t chosen England. The hype would be unbearable.
— Nooruddean (@BeardedGenius) January 30, 2014
Apparently Adnan Januzaj has said he’s opted to play for England?! At least he’ll have most summers off and no burden of internationals
— Nathan (@tigerprawn777) January 30, 2014
Yes! Januzaj wants to play for England! :)
— JB (@JackkBrookks25) January 30, 2014
Januzaj can’t play for Engand. Idiots.
— Jon Warburton (@jon_warburton) January 30, 2014
Could Januzaj qualify for Wales?
— LasVegasDan (@LasVegasWI) January 30, 2014
Januzaj in an England shirt? Not for me, thanks.
— Eddie Lattimore (@EddieLattimore) January 30, 2014
- Man United’s Adnan Januzaj & Arsenal’s Aaron Ramsey feature in New Bal...
- James Wilson & Adnan Januzaj’s individual highlights from Man United 4 ̵...
- Adnan Januzaj stars as Man United U21’s beat Man CIty 4-0 in the mini derby [High...
- Adnan Januzaj scored a quality solo goal for Man United U21s v Man City [videos]
- Adnan Januzaj provides gorgeous assist for James Wilson goal for United U21s vs City [V...
- Man United’s Adnan Januzaj hangs out his ‘good friend’ Shaun Murphy a...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi