Steven Gerrard: “I told Luis Suarez that Arsenal weren’t good enough for him”
Ever since Arsenal tried to sign Luis Suarez from Liverpool last summer, there has been plenty of bad blood between the two Premier League giants.
The infamous bid of 40 million and 1 pound certainly riled Liverpool and John Henry subsequently admitted that the Uruguayan did indeed have the buyout clause in his contract.
Two Arsenal victories over Liverpool last season, combined with the 5-1 mauling at Anfield and the fact Suarez has now gone to Barcelona means plenty of water has passed under the bridge between the two sides.
Nevertheless, Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has taken a swipe at Arsenal with some comments made in New York picked up by the newspapers.
As can be seen above, Steven Gerrard’s comments on Arsenal trying to sign Luis Suarez made the back page of Thursday’s Sun.
Gerrard says: “I would have been really sad and disappointed to see Luis go to Arsenal. With all due respect to them, I said to him that he was too good for Arsenal. I said if you score 30 goals for us and win the PFA Player of the Year, the press Player of the Year – I knew he was going to win them – I told him Real or Barcelona will come for you. I think he got the wrong advice last year from people around him, from people saying he needed to play in the Champions League and it did not matter who it was for.”
The Liverpool captain also suggests that had Suarez stayed this summer, Liverpool would be title favourites: “I believe if we had Luis Suárez we’d be favourites. I’m disappointed to see him leave now but I am happy for him that’s he has got what he wants and deserves. Since day one he has been phenomenal in training every day and in the games.”
Ironically, having brought in Alexis Sanchez, you suspect Arsenal are more likely to win the Premier League this season than Liverpool…
Watch Live Stream
- Arsenal star Mesut Ozil feeds a tiger in Dubai, animal paws him in his private parts (Video)May 25th, 2016
- Granit Xhaka reveals details of his Arsenal contract & how Arsene Wenger made the deal happe...May 25th, 2016
- Rumour: Arsenal closing in on a striker, suggestions it’s Leicester’s Jamie VardyMay 25th, 2016
- Granit Xhaka posts lengthy message on Instagram after signing for ArsenalMay 25th, 2016
- Martin Skrtel’s days at Liverpool are almost certainly over, confirms agentMay 25th, 2016
- Loris Karius says he intends to uproot Simon Mignolet as Liverpool number one (Video)May 25th, 2016
- Liverpool “very close” to completing €60m deal for Porto star Yacine Brahimi [A Bola]May 25th, 2016
- New Liverpool signing Loris Karius discusses move from Mainz on InstagramMay 25th, 2016
- Steven Gerrard set to quit LA Galaxy due to homesickness and take up Liverpool coaching role [Mir...May 22nd, 2016
- MLS 2016 Salaries Revealed: Steven Gerrard & Robbie Keane dwarf LA Galaxy teammates’ e...May 19th, 2016
- LA Galaxy’s Steven Gerrard tells Liverpool fans what they want to hear (Official Video)May 9th, 2016
- Still got it: Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard scores superb solo goal for LA Galaxy (Video)May 8th, 2016