Steven Gerrard: “I told Luis Suarez that Arsenal weren’t good enough for him”
- July 30, 2014
Ever since Arsenal tried to sign Luis Suarez from Liverpool last summer, there has been plenty of bad blood between the two Premier League giants.
The infamous bid of 40 million and 1 pound certainly riled Liverpool and John Henry subsequently admitted that the Uruguayan did indeed have the buyout clause in his contract.
Two Arsenal victories over Liverpool last season, combined with the 5-1 mauling at Anfield and the fact Suarez has now gone to Barcelona means plenty of water has passed under the bridge between the two sides.
Nevertheless, Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has taken a swipe at Arsenal with some comments made in New York picked up by the newspapers.
As can be seen above, Steven Gerrard’s comments on Arsenal trying to sign Luis Suarez made the back page of Thursday’s Sun.
Gerrard says: “I would have been really sad and disappointed to see Luis go to Arsenal. With all due respect to them, I said to him that he was too good for Arsenal. I said if you score 30 goals for us and win the PFA Player of the Year, the press Player of the Year – I knew he was going to win them – I told him Real or Barcelona will come for you. I think he got the wrong advice last year from people around him, from people saying he needed to play in the Champions League and it did not matter who it was for.”
The Liverpool captain also suggests that had Suarez stayed this summer, Liverpool would be title favourites: “I believe if we had Luis Suárez we’d be favourites. I’m disappointed to see him leave now but I am happy for him that’s he has got what he wants and deserves. Since day one he has been phenomenal in training every day and in the games.”
Ironically, having brought in Alexis Sanchez, you suspect Arsenal are more likely to win the Premier League this season than Liverpool…
- Arsenal U19 star Gedion Zelalem produces cheeky piece of skill to beat PSV defender (Vi...
- Arsenal fans troll Chelsea with their brand new Petr Cech song (Videos)
- Augsberg defender Abdul Rahman Baba agrees personal terms With Chelsea [Bild]
- Arsenal legend Ian Wright strangely takes to Twitter to beg his old club to sign Real M...
- Aaron Ramsey thinks Theo Walcott is set for a prolific season (Video)
- Arsene Wenger has £42m to splash out on a striker; Karim Benzema tops his list [Cadena ...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi