Steven Gerrard: “I told Luis Suarez that Arsenal weren’t good enough for him”
Ever since Arsenal tried to sign Luis Suarez from Liverpool last summer, there has been plenty of bad blood between the two Premier League giants.
The infamous bid of 40 million and 1 pound certainly riled Liverpool and John Henry subsequently admitted that the Uruguayan did indeed have the buyout clause in his contract.
Two Arsenal victories over Liverpool last season, combined with the 5-1 mauling at Anfield and the fact Suarez has now gone to Barcelona means plenty of water has passed under the bridge between the two sides.
Nevertheless, Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has taken a swipe at Arsenal with some comments made in New York picked up by the newspapers.
As can be seen above, Steven Gerrard’s comments on Arsenal trying to sign Luis Suarez made the back page of Thursday’s Sun.
Gerrard says: “I would have been really sad and disappointed to see Luis go to Arsenal. With all due respect to them, I said to him that he was too good for Arsenal. I said if you score 30 goals for us and win the PFA Player of the Year, the press Player of the Year – I knew he was going to win them – I told him Real or Barcelona will come for you. I think he got the wrong advice last year from people around him, from people saying he needed to play in the Champions League and it did not matter who it was for.”
The Liverpool captain also suggests that had Suarez stayed this summer, Liverpool would be title favourites: “I believe if we had Luis Suárez we’d be favourites. I’m disappointed to see him leave now but I am happy for him that’s he has got what he wants and deserves. Since day one he has been phenomenal in training every day and in the games.”
Ironically, having brought in Alexis Sanchez, you suspect Arsenal are more likely to win the Premier League this season than Liverpool…
- Arsenal’s Hector Bellerin celebrates a stellar year with YouTube compilation (video)
- What’s it like to be a blind Arsenal fan? (Video)
- Mistake? El Confidencial suggest Karim Benzema should have left Real Madrid to join Ars...
- Liverpool owners approach Jurgen Klopp & still expect to challenge for title this ...
- Steven Gerrard brutalizes Iago Aspas with killer line in his book (Audible Audio)
- Steven Gerrard scores 2nd MLS goal for La Galaxy, Robbie Keane also among goals v Dalla...
- Steven Gerrard on THAT slip, Rafa’s lack of love, and nearly joining Real Madrid ...
- Steven Gerrard: I never knew whether Rafa Benitez loved me or not (Video)