Steven Gerrard: “I told Luis Suarez that Arsenal weren’t good enough for him”
Ever since Arsenal tried to sign Luis Suarez from Liverpool last summer, there has been plenty of bad blood between the two Premier League giants.
The infamous bid of 40 million and 1 pound certainly riled Liverpool and John Henry subsequently admitted that the Uruguayan did indeed have the buyout clause in his contract.
Two Arsenal victories over Liverpool last season, combined with the 5-1 mauling at Anfield and the fact Suarez has now gone to Barcelona means plenty of water has passed under the bridge between the two sides.
Nevertheless, Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has taken a swipe at Arsenal with some comments made in New York picked up by the newspapers.
As can be seen above, Steven Gerrard’s comments on Arsenal trying to sign Luis Suarez made the back page of Thursday’s Sun.
Gerrard says: “I would have been really sad and disappointed to see Luis go to Arsenal. With all due respect to them, I said to him that he was too good for Arsenal. I said if you score 30 goals for us and win the PFA Player of the Year, the press Player of the Year – I knew he was going to win them – I told him Real or Barcelona will come for you. I think he got the wrong advice last year from people around him, from people saying he needed to play in the Champions League and it did not matter who it was for.”
The Liverpool captain also suggests that had Suarez stayed this summer, Liverpool would be title favourites: “I believe if we had Luis Suárez we’d be favourites. I’m disappointed to see him leave now but I am happy for him that’s he has got what he wants and deserves. Since day one he has been phenomenal in training every day and in the games.”
Ironically, having brought in Alexis Sanchez, you suspect Arsenal are more likely to win the Premier League this season than Liverpool…
Watch Live Stream
- Gooners think Mesut Ozil is the best midfielder in the world (Videos)September 25, 2016
- Arsene Wenger shares a joke about Jose Mourinho in his presser (Video)September 25, 2016
- Alex Iwobi not sure how he won MOTM award after Arsenal 3 – Chelsea 0September 25, 2016
- Chelsea legend Didier Drogba jokes with Theo Walcott on social media after Arsenal’s winSeptember 25, 2016
- Bayern Munich want to sign Liverpool’s star asset [Express]September 25, 2016
- Jurgen Klopp reacts to Mamadou Sakho’s SnapChat updates (Video)September 24, 2016
- Jurgen Klopp says Liverpool’s first half was one of the best v Hull (Video)September 24, 2016
- Liverpool considered as possible title contenders after win over Hull [Tweets]September 24, 2016
- Barcelona’s Javier Mascherano did a great impression of Liverpool legend Steven GerrardSeptember 22, 2016
- Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard enjoyed Jordan Henderson’s Worldy against Chelsea [Instagram]September 17, 2016
- Chelsea fans mocked for STILL singing about Steven Gerrard’s slip for Liverpool in 2014 [Tweets]September 16, 2016
- El Hadji Diouf blames ‘jealous’ Steven Gerrard for Mario Balotelli’s Liverpool failures [Quotes]September 12, 2016