Steven Gerrard: “I told Luis Suarez that Arsenal weren’t good enough for him”
Ever since Arsenal tried to sign Luis Suarez from Liverpool last summer, there has been plenty of bad blood between the two Premier League giants.
The infamous bid of 40 million and 1 pound certainly riled Liverpool and John Henry subsequently admitted that the Uruguayan did indeed have the buyout clause in his contract.
Two Arsenal victories over Liverpool last season, combined with the 5-1 mauling at Anfield and the fact Suarez has now gone to Barcelona means plenty of water has passed under the bridge between the two sides.
Nevertheless, Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has taken a swipe at Arsenal with some comments made in New York picked up by the newspapers.
As can be seen above, Steven Gerrard’s comments on Arsenal trying to sign Luis Suarez made the back page of Thursday’s Sun.
Gerrard says: “I would have been really sad and disappointed to see Luis go to Arsenal. With all due respect to them, I said to him that he was too good for Arsenal. I said if you score 30 goals for us and win the PFA Player of the Year, the press Player of the Year – I knew he was going to win them – I told him Real or Barcelona will come for you. I think he got the wrong advice last year from people around him, from people saying he needed to play in the Champions League and it did not matter who it was for.”
The Liverpool captain also suggests that had Suarez stayed this summer, Liverpool would be title favourites: “I believe if we had Luis Suárez we’d be favourites. I’m disappointed to see him leave now but I am happy for him that’s he has got what he wants and deserves. Since day one he has been phenomenal in training every day and in the games.”
Ironically, having brought in Alexis Sanchez, you suspect Arsenal are more likely to win the Premier League this season than Liverpool…
Watch Live Stream
- Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez was FPL gold at WatfordAugust 28, 2016
- Valencia line up their replacement for Arsenal bound Shkodran Mustafi [Super Deporte]August 28, 2016
- Arsenal fans won’t stop bashing Arsene Wenger despite signing a striker & defender (BBC Audio)August 28, 2016
- Some Arsenal fans are still angry after the Watford win (Videos)August 27, 2016
- Jurgen Klopp trolls Geoff Shreeves after Spurs 1 – Liverpool 1 (Video)August 27, 2016
- James Milner penalty cancelled out by Rose equaliser: Spurs 1 – Liverpool 1 (Official Videos)August 27, 2016
- Coutinho Starts: Tottenham v Liverpool [Team Sheets]August 27, 2016
- Liverpool make £11m bid for Borussia Dortmund’s Christian Pulisic [Tony Barrett]August 26, 2016
- Terry 4 – Slippy G 0: Chelsea fans have banner prepared for Liverpool friendlyJuly 24, 2016
- Steven Gerrard on retirement & working at Liverpool again (Video)July 20, 2016
- Steven Gerrard & Frank Lampard left out of MLS All-Star RosterJuly 18, 2016
- Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard bags an assist for the LA Galaxy (Official Video)June 26, 2016