Steven Gerrard hits back at Fergie’s ‘not a top player’ jibe: ‘If I’m so average why did United try to sign me, twice?’
One of Fergie’s more infamous pot-shots in his autobiography was his estimation that Steven Gerrard was not, nor is, a ‘top, top player’.
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers immediately reacted to the jibe, but Stevie G himself has until now remained silent on the matter.
peaking on the Clare Balding Show on BT Sport, Gerrard had his right of reply, and poo-pooed Fergie’s claim, reminding him that he tried to sign the Scouse captain as a 13 year-old.
“I had a letter off them (United) wanting to sign me on a seven-year deal when I was 13 years old.
“He tried to sign me in early 2002-2003. He tried to sign me again to play for United.
“I obviously refused, so I can’t really take it to heart too much. But I’m a bit gutted (about what he said) because I’m a big fan of his.
What he’s done in the game is fantastic.’
Pretty magnanimous from the Liverpool captain, the latest of Fergie’s book victims to give the Scot a lesson in maturity.
Watch Live Stream
- Jaap Stam speaks about his sale to Lazio being Sir Alex Ferguson’s biggest mistake (Video)September 8, 2016
- Jose Mourinho discussed Fergie Time after Man United win at Hull (Video)August 27, 2016
- Sir Alex Ferguson celebrates with Cristiano Ronaldo after Portugal win the Euros (Video)July 11, 2016
- Sir Alex Ferguson says it was a steward who told him to sign Ryan Giggs [ESPN]July 5, 2016
- Barcelona’s Javier Mascherano did a great impression of Liverpool legend Steven GerrardSeptember 22, 2016
- Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard enjoyed Jordan Henderson’s Worldy against Chelsea [Instagram]September 17, 2016
- Chelsea fans mocked for STILL singing about Steven Gerrard’s slip for Liverpool in 2014 [Tweets]September 16, 2016
- El Hadji Diouf blames ‘jealous’ Steven Gerrard for Mario Balotelli’s Liverpool failures [Quotes]September 12, 2016