Steven Gerrard hits back at Fergie’s ‘not a top player’ jibe: ‘If I’m so average why did United try to sign me, twice?’
One of Fergie’s more infamous pot-shots in his autobiography was his estimation that Steven Gerrard was not, nor is, a ‘top, top player’.
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers immediately reacted to the jibe, but Stevie G himself has until now remained silent on the matter.
peaking on the Clare Balding Show on BT Sport, Gerrard had his right of reply, and poo-pooed Fergie’s claim, reminding him that he tried to sign the Scouse captain as a 13 year-old.
“I had a letter off them (United) wanting to sign me on a seven-year deal when I was 13 years old.
“He tried to sign me in early 2002-2003. He tried to sign me again to play for United.
“I obviously refused, so I can’t really take it to heart too much. But I’m a bit gutted (about what he said) because I’m a big fan of his.
What he’s done in the game is fantastic.’
Pretty magnanimous from the Liverpool captain, the latest of Fergie’s book victims to give the Scot a lesson in maturity.
- Fergie: David Moyes was the right man for Man United, suggest his mistakes were his fau...
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s story on Sir Alex Ferguson giving him compassionate leave at ...
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up about Sir Alex Ferguson hairdryer treatment at Man United
- Jose Mourinho says Sir Alex couldn’t tempt him to Man United instead of Chelsea [...
- Jamie Carragher trolls Steven Gerrard with superb Instagram post (Picture)
- Steven Gerrard brutalizes Iago Aspas with killer line in his book (Audible Audio)
- Steven Gerrard scores 2nd MLS goal for La Galaxy, Robbie Keane also among goals v Dalla...
- Steven Gerrard on THAT slip, Rafa’s lack of love, and nearly joining Real Madrid ...