Steven Gerrard hits back at Fergie’s ‘not a top player’ jibe: ‘If I’m so average why did United try to sign me, twice?’
- November 30, 2013
One of Fergie’s more infamous pot-shots in his autobiography was his estimation that Steven Gerrard was not, nor is, a ‘top, top player’.
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers immediately reacted to the jibe, but Stevie G himself has until now remained silent on the matter.
peaking on the Clare Balding Show on BT Sport, Gerrard had his right of reply, and poo-pooed Fergie’s claim, reminding him that he tried to sign the Scouse captain as a 13 year-old.
“I had a letter off them (United) wanting to sign me on a seven-year deal when I was 13 years old.
“He tried to sign me in early 2002-2003. He tried to sign me again to play for United.
“I obviously refused, so I can’t really take it to heart too much. But I’m a bit gutted (about what he said) because I’m a big fan of his.
What he’s done in the game is fantastic.’
Pretty magnanimous from the Liverpool captain, the latest of Fergie’s book victims to give the Scot a lesson in maturity.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...