Steven Gerrard hits back at Fergie’s ‘not a top player’ jibe: ‘If I’m so average why did United try to sign me, twice?’
One of Fergie’s more infamous pot-shots in his autobiography was his estimation that Steven Gerrard was not, nor is, a ‘top, top player’.
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers immediately reacted to the jibe, but Stevie G himself has until now remained silent on the matter.
peaking on the Clare Balding Show on BT Sport, Gerrard had his right of reply, and poo-pooed Fergie’s claim, reminding him that he tried to sign the Scouse captain as a 13 year-old.
“I had a letter off them (United) wanting to sign me on a seven-year deal when I was 13 years old.
“He tried to sign me in early 2002-2003. He tried to sign me again to play for United.
“I obviously refused, so I can’t really take it to heart too much. But I’m a bit gutted (about what he said) because I’m a big fan of his.
What he’s done in the game is fantastic.’
Pretty magnanimous from the Liverpool captain, the latest of Fergie’s book victims to give the Scot a lesson in maturity.
Watch Live Stream
- Ex Man United boss Sir Alex Ferguson jokes about signing Arsenal legend Ian Wright (Video)May 22nd, 2016
- Sir Alex Ferguson congratulates Louis van Gaal on Man United FA Cup win (Video)May 21st, 2016
- Twitter jokes about Sir Alex Ferguson chatting with Mark Clattenburg after controversy [Tweets]May 21st, 2016
- Man United legend Sir Alex Ferguson on why Leo Messi isn’t on Cristiano Ronaldo’s levelMay 18th, 2016
- Steven Gerrard set to quit LA Galaxy due to homesickness and take up Liverpool coaching role [Mir...May 22nd, 2016
- MLS 2016 Salaries Revealed: Steven Gerrard & Robbie Keane dwarf LA Galaxy teammates’ e...May 19th, 2016
- LA Galaxy’s Steven Gerrard tells Liverpool fans what they want to hear (Official Video)May 9th, 2016
- Still got it: Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard scores superb solo goal for LA Galaxy (Video)May 8th, 2016