Steven Gerrard hits back at Fergie’s ‘not a top player’ jibe: ‘If I’m so average why did United try to sign me, twice?’
One of Fergie’s more infamous pot-shots in his autobiography was his estimation that Steven Gerrard was not, nor is, a ‘top, top player’.
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers immediately reacted to the jibe, but Stevie G himself has until now remained silent on the matter.
peaking on the Clare Balding Show on BT Sport, Gerrard had his right of reply, and poo-pooed Fergie’s claim, reminding him that he tried to sign the Scouse captain as a 13 year-old.
“I had a letter off them (United) wanting to sign me on a seven-year deal when I was 13 years old.
“He tried to sign me in early 2002-2003. He tried to sign me again to play for United.
“I obviously refused, so I can’t really take it to heart too much. But I’m a bit gutted (about what he said) because I’m a big fan of his.
What he’s done in the game is fantastic.’
Pretty magnanimous from the Liverpool captain, the latest of Fergie’s book victims to give the Scot a lesson in maturity.
Watch Live Stream
- Sir Alex Ferguson names Cristiano Ronaldo as the best player he’s coachedOctober 22, 2016
- Mads Timm claims he didn’t get chance at Man Utd as he wasn’t signed to Fergie’s son’s agencyOctober 13, 2016
- Swansea’s Bob Bradley can talk (loudly), has an interesting connection with Alex Ferguson (Video)October 7, 2016
- The Star make a big claim about Arsene Wenger, Sir Alex Ferguson & Man UnitedOctober 1, 2016
- Liverpool in talks with Steven Gerrard over a return to Anfield [The Express]October 23, 2016
- Robbie Keane’s Instagram post suggests Steven Gerrard isn’t heading back to LiverpoolOctober 23, 2016
- Jurgen Klopp suggests Liverpool are in talks with Steven Gerrard about a return (Video)October 22, 2016
- Back to Liverpool? Steven Gerrard posts farewell LA Galaxy message on InstagramOctober 22, 2016