Steven Gerrard hits back at Fergie’s ‘not a top player’ jibe: ‘If I’m so average why did United try to sign me, twice?’
One of Fergie’s more infamous pot-shots in his autobiography was his estimation that Steven Gerrard was not, nor is, a ‘top, top player’.
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers immediately reacted to the jibe, but Stevie G himself has until now remained silent on the matter.
peaking on the Clare Balding Show on BT Sport, Gerrard had his right of reply, and poo-pooed Fergie’s claim, reminding him that he tried to sign the Scouse captain as a 13 year-old.
“I had a letter off them (United) wanting to sign me on a seven-year deal when I was 13 years old.
“He tried to sign me in early 2002-2003. He tried to sign me again to play for United.
“I obviously refused, so I can’t really take it to heart too much. But I’m a bit gutted (about what he said) because I’m a big fan of his.
What he’s done in the game is fantastic.’
Pretty magnanimous from the Liverpool captain, the latest of Fergie’s book victims to give the Scot a lesson in maturity.
Watch Live Stream
- How Cristiano Ronaldo pranked Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United (video)November 22, 2016
- The Times suggest that Sir Alex Ferguson may go bankrupt due to film schemeNovember 19, 2016
- Man United legend Sir Alex Ferguson to set up a university for managers [Times]November 13, 2016
- Gary Neville reveals secret to Sir Alex Ferguson’s success at Man United [MEN]November 12, 2016
- Joey Barton calls out Steven Gerrard’s coaching credentials (Video)December 8, 2016
- Steven Gerrard reveals how Luis Suarez hooked him up for El ClasicoDecember 4, 2016
- Steven Gerrard’s cousin Bobby Duncan scores hat-trick for England U16s v Brazil (video)November 27, 2016
- Claims that Steven Gerrard would still get into Liverpool’s team (BBC Videos)November 26, 2016