Steve McClaren goes beyond call of duty, inspires Derby to epic 2nd half comeback v Ipswich before even technically taking charge of team
‘Schteve’ McClaren, brought in as new Derby County boss following the sacking of Nigel Clough, has already made an impact, despite not technically taking charge of the team until after last night’s game.
As is often the case with a game coming up so soon after a manager’s arrival, he’d decided to leave responsibilities to academy head Darren Wassall for one more day.
But with Derby 4-1 down at half-time, McClaren – the erstwhile ‘Wolly in the Brolly – epically intervened, going down to the dressing room to rally the troops.
Whatever he said worked, as Derby rallied to an awesome 4-4 comeback with the game seemingly beyond them.
‘We weren’t good enough in the first half and Steve came down at half-time and had a few words to say. He made a few changes as well and it did the trick, the second half was much, much better. The response from the players in the second half was absolutely magnificent and that bodes well for the future. Steve came back down to the dressing room again at the end of the game and he was absolutely thrilled with the response.’
Watch highlights of the game below, the second half of which had McClaren’s stamp all over it.
[gthumb id=”360589″ size=”large” autoplay=”1″]
Watch Live Stream
- Derby v Leeds: Online Live Streaming video [HD] 2016-10-15October 10, 2016
- Danny Graham finished a super 25-pass move for Blackburn v Derby (Official Video)September 25, 2016
- There was an incredible halftime show at the Derby v Blackburn game (Video)September 25, 2016
- Derby 0 – Liverpool 3 (official highlights video)September 22, 2016
- Danny Ings bags a hat-trick as Liverpool U23s beat Ipswich 3-0 (Official video)October 5, 2016
- Ipswich v Aston Villa: Online Live Streaming video [HD] 2016-09-17September 10, 2016
- Reading v Ipswich: Online Live Streaming video [HD] 2016-09-09September 2, 2016
- Ipswich manager Mick McCarthy has a message for those who criticise himAugust 21, 2016