Steve McClaren goes beyond call of duty, inspires Derby to epic 2nd half comeback v Ipswich before even technically taking charge of team
- October 2, 2013
‘Schteve’ McClaren, brought in as new Derby County boss following the sacking of Nigel Clough, has already made an impact, despite not technically taking charge of the team until after last night’s game.
As is often the case with a game coming up so soon after a manager’s arrival, he’d decided to leave responsibilities to academy head Darren Wassall for one more day.
But with Derby 4-1 down at half-time, McClaren – the erstwhile ‘Wolly in the Brolly – epically intervened, going down to the dressing room to rally the troops.
Whatever he said worked, as Derby rallied to an awesome 4-4 comeback with the game seemingly beyond them.
‘We weren’t good enough in the first half and Steve came down at half-time and had a few words to say. He made a few changes as well and it did the trick, the second half was much, much better. The response from the players in the second half was absolutely magnificent and that bodes well for the future. Steve came back down to the dressing room again at the end of the game and he was absolutely thrilled with the response.’
Watch highlights of the game below, the second half of which had McClaren’s stamp all over it.
[gthumb id=”360589″ size=”large” autoplay=”1″]
The 10 Worst Signings of The 14/15 Premier League Season
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi
- Best memes & photoshops ahead of the Barcelona v Juventus CL final [Video]