Stats suggest Sunderland’s Mannone & West Ham’s Adrian are the best keepers in the Premier League [Graphic]
Here’s a stat graphic that completely debunks the prevailing conventional wisdom on the hierarchy of Premier League goalkeepers.
Get this: the stats suggest that the best in the business between the posts isn’t Arsenal’s Wojciech Szczesny or Man United’s De Gea, but Sunderland’s unheralded Vito Mannone.
Formerly Szczesny’s understudy at Arsenal, has only conceded 16 goals, 10 less than the Pole, though he has shared the role with Kieran Westwood at Sunderland.
Also, it’s worth bearing in mind that the league’s lower placed sides naturally have more shots made against them, hence the higher proportion of saves among the smaller teams keepers.
Still, the save percentages don’t lie, and the fact is the stats place Mannone, West Ham’s Adrian and Southampton’s Artur Boruc as the Premier League’s top 3 goalkeepers in purely action terms.
Watch Live Stream
- Liverpool fans react to news that Mamadou Sakho is being forced out the club [Tweets]August 30, 2016
- Man City keeper Joe Hart a target for several Serie A clubs [Sunday Times]August 27, 2016
- Golazo: Man United loanee Adnan Januzaj scores sublime winner for Sunderland (Video)August 24, 2016
- Boro’s Cristhian Stuani & Man United’s Marcus Rashford now have something in commonAugust 21, 2016
- Michail Antonio thought West Ham’s physio was pranking him over his England call up (Video)August 30, 2016
- Man City fans prove Sergio Aguero didn’t connect with elbow & Andre Marriner saw incidentAugust 29, 2016
- Sergio Aguero faces retrospective ban for Man United v Man City after elbow on Winston ReidAugust 28, 2016
- Simone Zaza gives first West Ham interview after signing from Juventus (Video)August 28, 2016