Stats suggest Sunderland’s Mannone & West Ham’s Adrian are the best keepers in the Premier League [Graphic]
Here’s a stat graphic that completely debunks the prevailing conventional wisdom on the hierarchy of Premier League goalkeepers.
Get this: the stats suggest that the best in the business between the posts isn’t Arsenal’s Wojciech Szczesny or Man United’s De Gea, but Sunderland’s unheralded Vito Mannone.
Formerly Szczesny’s understudy at Arsenal, has only conceded 16 goals, 10 less than the Pole, though he has shared the role with Kieran Westwood at Sunderland.
Also, it’s worth bearing in mind that the league’s lower placed sides naturally have more shots made against them, hence the higher proportion of saves among the smaller teams keepers.
Still, the save percentages don’t lie, and the fact is the stats place Mannone, West Ham’s Adrian and Southampton’s Artur Boruc as the Premier League’s top 3 goalkeepers in purely action terms.
Watch Live Stream
- Sam Allardyce could make Sunderland return if takeover goes through [The Sun]October 20, 2016
- Slovak keeper Alex Fojticek makes a horror mistake for Man United U18 v Sunderland (Video)October 8, 2016
- Jermain Defoe equals a Spurs & Man United legend in the EPL all-time scoring chartsSeptember 24, 2016
- Dimitri Seluk continues firing shots at Guardiola, tells him to go manage Sunderland [Quotes]September 22, 2016
- West Ham fans wish they had Jermain Defoe after the Sunderland win (Fan Videos)October 22, 2016
- Aaron Cresswell talks about his red card on his West Ham return v Palace (Video)October 15, 2016
- Crystal Palace v West Ham: Premier League preview, line-ups & predictionsOctober 13, 2016
- Michail Antonio drops off signed shirt to charity event after a match [Tweets]October 12, 2016