- Manchester United’s Louis van Gaal still believes United can win title [Video]
- Chelsea’s Cesc Fabregas has a history of leading the PL assists chart at the halfway stage [Graphic]
- Ashley Barnes (Burnley) thumping equaliser v Man City from behind the goal [Video]
- Real Madrid keepers Keylor Navas & Iker Casillas make incredible saves in training [Video]
- Shots fired! Fernando Torres admits he left Liverpool for Chelsea to win trophies
Stats suggest Sunderland’s Mannone & West Ham’s Adrian are the best keepers in the Premier League [Graphic]
Here’s a stat graphic that completely debunks the prevailing conventional wisdom on the hierarchy of Premier League goalkeepers.
Get this: the stats suggest that the best in the business between the posts isn’t Arsenal’s Wojciech Szczesny or Man United’s De Gea, but Sunderland’s unheralded Vito Mannone.
Formerly Szczesny’s understudy at Arsenal, has only conceded 16 goals, 10 less than the Pole, though he has shared the role with Kieran Westwood at Sunderland.
Also, it’s worth bearing in mind that the league’s lower placed sides naturally have more shots made against them, hence the higher proportion of saves among the smaller teams keepers.
Still, the save percentages don’t lie, and the fact is the stats place Mannone, West Ham’s Adrian and Southampton’s Artur Boruc as the Premier League’s top 3 goalkeepers in purely action terms.
- Updated: February 13, 2014