- Yaya Sanogo set to start up front for Arsenal v Borussia Dortmund tonight [Mirror]
- Liverpool’s Rickie Lambert: ‘I find the criticism of Steven Gerrard shocking to be honest’
- Jurgen Klopp gives funny shrug of the shoulders when asked if any PL clubs have called him [Video]
- Christian Eriksen: ‘There have been a lot of changes since I joined Spurs, but we’re on right path’ [Video]
- Enhanced Acca! Back Atletico Madrid, Real Madrid & Juventus all to win at 8/1
Stats suggest Sunderland’s Mannone & West Ham’s Adrian are the best keepers in the Premier League [Graphic]
Here’s a stat graphic that completely debunks the prevailing conventional wisdom on the hierarchy of Premier League goalkeepers.
Get this: the stats suggest that the best in the business between the posts isn’t Arsenal’s Wojciech Szczesny or Man United’s De Gea, but Sunderland’s unheralded Vito Mannone.
Formerly Szczesny’s understudy at Arsenal, has only conceded 16 goals, 10 less than the Pole, though he has shared the role with Kieran Westwood at Sunderland.
Also, it’s worth bearing in mind that the league’s lower placed sides naturally have more shots made against them, hence the higher proportion of saves among the smaller teams keepers.
Still, the save percentages don’t lie, and the fact is the stats place Mannone, West Ham’s Adrian and Southampton’s Artur Boruc as the Premier League’s top 3 goalkeepers in purely action terms.
- Updated: February 13, 2014