Stats suggest Sunderland’s Mannone & West Ham’s Adrian are the best keepers in the Premier League [Graphic]
- February 13, 2014
Here’s a stat graphic that completely debunks the prevailing conventional wisdom on the hierarchy of Premier League goalkeepers.
Get this: the stats suggest that the best in the business between the posts isn’t Arsenal’s Wojciech Szczesny or Man United’s De Gea, but Sunderland’s unheralded Vito Mannone.
Formerly Szczesny’s understudy at Arsenal, has only conceded 16 goals, 10 less than the Pole, though he has shared the role with Kieran Westwood at Sunderland.
Also, it’s worth bearing in mind that the league’s lower placed sides naturally have more shots made against them, hence the higher proportion of saves among the smaller teams keepers.
Still, the save percentages don’t lie, and the fact is the stats place Mannone, West Ham’s Adrian and Southampton’s Artur Boruc as the Premier League’s top 3 goalkeepers in purely action terms.
- Lee Cattermole agrees a six year contract extension with Sunderland. Black Cats post hi...
- Newcastle fight the Black Cats to sign Chelsea’s Marco van Ginkel on loan [Voetba...
- Liverpool reach agreement to sell Sebastian Coates to Sunderland for £4m [Echo]
- Sunderland make £11m bid for PSV captain Georginio Wijnaldum [Guardian]
- Sunderland reveal brand new kit for 15/16 season with YouTube video
- Arsenal fan slams Mesut Ozil & Theo Walcott after 0-0 draw v Sunderland [Video]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi