Stats suggest Sunderland’s Mannone & West Ham’s Adrian are the best keepers in the Premier League [Graphic]
Here’s a stat graphic that completely debunks the prevailing conventional wisdom on the hierarchy of Premier League goalkeepers.
Get this: the stats suggest that the best in the business between the posts isn’t Arsenal’s Wojciech Szczesny or Man United’s De Gea, but Sunderland’s unheralded Vito Mannone.
Formerly Szczesny’s understudy at Arsenal, has only conceded 16 goals, 10 less than the Pole, though he has shared the role with Kieran Westwood at Sunderland.
Also, it’s worth bearing in mind that the league’s lower placed sides naturally have more shots made against them, hence the higher proportion of saves among the smaller teams keepers.
Still, the save percentages don’t lie, and the fact is the stats place Mannone, West Ham’s Adrian and Southampton’s Artur Boruc as the Premier League’s top 3 goalkeepers in purely action terms.
Watch Live Stream
- Jermain Defoe equals a Spurs & Man United legend in the EPL all-time scoring chartsSeptember 24, 2016
- Dimitri Seluk continues firing shots at Guardiola, tells him to go manage Sunderland [Quotes]September 22, 2016
- Man United old boy Paddy McNair lifts Sunderland to victory in the EFL Cup (Official Video)September 22, 2016
- David Moyes explains why Patrick van Aanholt was withdrawn pre Spurs v SunderlandSeptember 20, 2016
- Crystal Palace’s Wilfried Zaha was terrible for West Ham v Saints, say the SunSeptember 26, 2016
- West Ham boss Slaven Bilic is miles out of his depth (BBC Audio)September 26, 2016
- That irate West Ham fan was interviewed again after 3-0 Southampton defeat (Video)September 25, 2016
- Mark Noble gives incredibly honest post-match interview after West Ham 0 – Southampton 3 (Video)September 25, 2016