- Chelsea’s Fernando Torres locks up Atletico homecoming, loan deal until 2016 [Marca & AS]
- Liverpool & Arsenal target Man City’s James Milner for free this summer [Express]
- Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho says sorry for 19th-century football comment aimed at West Ham
- Mario Balotelli set for Liverpool bench as Sampdoria consider a January swoop [Guardian]
- Adriano announces on Twitter that he’s signed for Ligue 2 club Le Havre
Standard Liege’s President goes on the record saying Arsenal want to buy Michy Batshuayi [Het Laatste Nieuws]
Belgium daily Het Laatste Nieuws have reported on Thursday that Arsenal are closely tracking Standard Liege’s highly-prised 20-year-old forward Michy Batshuayi.
The thrust of the article is supplied by quotes from Standard Liege’s President Roland Duchâtelet, who has explicitly named Arsene Wenger’s team as chasing the prolific Batshuayi. Duchâtelet said:
What is new is the interest of Arsenal, although Arsenal are just one of many clubs who are chasing our striker Michy. Anyway, we are not willing to let go Michy this season.
Arsenal scout Gilles Grimandi, who is responsible for recruitment in the French and Belgian market, personally scouted Batshuayi back in September, however reports claim that more than 20 clubs from various sides have since looked at the Belgium U21 striker since.
Batshuayi, who has scored 30 goals in 76 games for Standard, 12 in 17 games this season, as well as 5 goals in 11 matches for Belgium’s U21s, is still under contract until 2017 in Liege.
Swansea had a three million euro bid for the striker rejected in the summer, however Arsenal believe they can land the talented striker is they can agreed a deal in which Batshuayi only moves to the Emirates a little bit down the line.
Against all the hype, some wonder whether Batshuayi could cut it at a high level like the Premier League. And if Arsenal need new striking options, why don’t they bring back Joel Campbell from Olympiakos?
- Updated: December 5, 2013