- A shirtless Thierry Henry reacts to New York Red Bulls 1 – New England Revolution 2 [Video]
- Still Got It! 41 year old Cuauhtemoc Blanco scores free-kick for Puebla v Santos Laguna
- (Chelsea’s) Fernando Torres has disappointing 73 minutes in AC Milan 1 – Inter 1 [Individual Highlights]
- AC Milan 1 – Inter Milan 1 [Video Highlights]
- ‘Oh No You Don’t!’ Xavi forced Messi back out onto pitch to receive guard of honour [GIF]
Net Busters: Standard Liege fans hurl flares on the pitch after conceding a goal to Anderlecht
The match of the weekend in Belgium saw traditional powerhouses Standard Liege and Anderlecht face-off on Sunday afternoon.
French striker Frederic Bulot was the hero for Standard as he scored a brace which put a dent in RSCA’s title challenge, however the storyline which grabbed most attention was the behaviour of the Liege fans after former Liverpool striker Milan Jovanovic put Anderlecht ahead after just nine minutes.
After going behind 1-0 following Jovanovic’s close range finish, the Standard ultras behind the goal began hurling lit flares onto the playing surface. That caused smoke to fill the entire ground, which in turn forced the refereeing to abandon play for seven minutes.
Perhaps most glaringly, one flare exploded right next to the goalmouth which left a visibly grabbing hole in the net as a mark of the bad behaviour of the Liege fans.
Once the smoke had cleared, and the repairs had been made to a hole in one of the net, play resumed, only for a second shower of flares to cause another interruption.
Watch the Standard Liege fans pelt the pitch with flares on the video below.
- Updated: October 8, 2012