- Juan Mata hugged every Chelsea player after Man United lost at Stamford Bridge [Video]
- Oscar signs a Man United contract & CheekySport meet Chelsea physio Eva Carneiro [Video]
- Cristiano Ronaldo singled out Man United’s Chicharito for praise v Malaga [Video]
- PSV’s Marcel Brands says big teams are circling Memphis Depay. Man United & Spurs name-checked [VI]
- Chelsea’s stars & their wives attended Didier Drogba’s Charity Ball after the Man United game [Pictures]
St Etienne defender Kurt Zouma confirms he has spoken to Mourinho & “loves Chelsea” [L’Equipe]
- January 16, 2014
“Well, its true. There has been an advanced contact. At first I thought it was a joke. But I quickly took [Mourinho’s] call seriously. A great man like Jose Mourinho phoning a small player like Kurt Zouma, it’s nice. It does not happen to you every day and it is a great sign of respect and trust. I will always take Chelsea. I loved this club since childhood and blue is my favourite colour. In my head, it is clear: I want a change. When going abroad, it’s make or break. But it is a risk worth taking.” – St Etienne defender on Chelsea in Thursday’s L’Equipe.
After clinching the signing of Nemanja Matic on Wednesday, it would be a surprise if Chelsea were to bring in another big signing in the January transfer window.
But, Kurt Zouma’s quotes above suggest the 19-year-old has been targeted either for now with a loan back agreement or to purchase outright in the summer.
Zouma has emerged as one of the best young central defenders in France over the past couple of seasons and could well be a fine investment for Chelsea.
Les Verts are believed to be asking a fee of 10 million pounds and Zouma’s contract at St Etienne expires in 2017.