- John Terry & MOTM Eden Hazard interview post-Chelsea 2 – West Ham 0 [Video]
- Barça loanee (West Ham) Alex Song: ‘Arsenal is a big family that’s still part of my heart’
- Man United star Angel Di Maria INJURED in final training session before Newcastle game
- Leicester v Tottenham [Team Sheets]
- Wayne Rooney in CM! Man United’s formation according to MUTV [Picture]
Spurs offered “3 or 4 million euros more” than Atletico Madrid for David Villa [Catalunya Radio]
As Spurs fans wonder how Atletico Madrid bagged David Villa for what seems like a scandalously low fee, Catalunya Radio report that Tottenham DID bid for the Spain striker.
According to reports in Spain, Villa moved to Atletico for just 2.1 million euros up front with the deal costing maximum 5.1 million euros if the former Valencia striker plays for three seasons in the Spanish capital.
Catalunya Radio suggest there were two foreign clubs seriously interested in Villa: Spurs and Fiorentina. And, both sides offered “3 or 4 million euros more” than Atletico.
However, Barcelona were eager to reward Villa for his three seasons at the Nou Camp, which have been laden with goals and also featured a serious shin injury.
Villa was keen to stay in Spain to challenge for a spot in next year’s World Cup squad and Champions League football at Atletico also swung his decision.
Spurs are now expected to turn their attentions to Christian Benteke, who has handed in a transfer request at Aston Villa or Roberto Soldado of Valencia.
- Updated: July 9, 2013