- Gabriel gives his first interview since becoming an Arsenal player [Video]
- Francesco Totti takes the piss out of Cristiano Ronaldo’s roar!
- EXCLUSIVE Offer: Back Tottenham to reach the Capital One Cup final at 2/1!!!
- The wealthiest football clubs on the planet and how they make their money [Graphic]
- Luis Figo announces his intentions to run against Sepp Blatter for FIFA President [Video]
Spurs are keen on Villarreal defender Mateo Musacchio [AS]
There are widespread reports in England and Portugal this morning that Tottenham are close to signing England Under-21 defender Eric Dier from Sporting Lisbon.
But, the incoming defensive recruitment policy is unlikely to end there for Spurs with Michael Dawson unlikely to fit into the plans of Mauricio Pochettino and fitness doubts remaining over Younes Kaboul.
An Argentine central defender, the 23-year-old has four seasons of Spanish football under his belt and has been a mainstay in the Villarreal backline.
Tottenham have reportedly received very good scouting reports on Musacchio and it could be a fairly easy deal to secure considering the player will likely presumably be keen to work with countryman Mauricio Pochettino.
The AS report does come with a rather large caveat for Tottenham though, the Spanish paper suggests that Musacchio would be a replacement for Jan Vertonghen.
The Belgian defender has been constantly linked with Barcelona and this could allow Vertonghen to move to the Nou Camp with Luis Enrique still keen on defensive reinforcements.
- Updated: July 31, 2014