Sport compare Messi’s 1st goal v Osasuna with Kanu finish for Arsenal v Deportivo
- January 28, 2013
This is high praise indeed!
Catalan newspaper Sport have today compared Lionel Messi’s first goal against Osasuna on Sunday with a famous Nwankwo Kanu goal for Arsenal at Highbury against Deportivo La Coruna.
Essentially, both Messi and Kanu gave the keeper “the eyes” and simply walked the ball into the net, showing terrific clinical finishing.
Kanu’s goal came in a 5-1 rout for Arsenal over Deportivo La Coruna in March 2000 as Arsene Wenger’s team continued their eventual progression to the UEFA Cup final in 2000.
Just as Lionel Messi fooled Andres Fernandez on his way to scoring 4 for Barcelona in their 5-1 rout of Osasuna, Kanu tricked Jacques Songo’o for Arsenal’s fourth as they also romped to the same scoreline 13 years ago.
Kanu’s goal v Deportivo and Messi’s opener v Osasuna are on the videos below.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...