Sport compare Messi’s 1st goal v Osasuna with Kanu finish for Arsenal v Deportivo
- January 28, 2013
This is high praise indeed!
Catalan newspaper Sport have today compared Lionel Messi’s first goal against Osasuna on Sunday with a famous Nwankwo Kanu goal for Arsenal at Highbury against Deportivo La Coruna.
Essentially, both Messi and Kanu gave the keeper “the eyes” and simply walked the ball into the net, showing terrific clinical finishing.
Kanu’s goal came in a 5-1 rout for Arsenal over Deportivo La Coruna in March 2000 as Arsene Wenger’s team continued their eventual progression to the UEFA Cup final in 2000.
Just as Lionel Messi fooled Andres Fernandez on his way to scoring 4 for Barcelona in their 5-1 rout of Osasuna, Kanu tricked Jacques Songo’o for Arsenal’s fourth as they also romped to the same scoreline 13 years ago.
Kanu’s goal v Deportivo and Messi’s opener v Osasuna are on the videos below.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...