- Pep Guardiola post-Man City 3 – Bayern 2: ‘One of my proudest nights as a manager’ [Video]
- Layvin Kurzawa denies rumour Manchester City invited him to Bayern game, watched CL at home
- A sinister Bruce Grobelaar says Simon Mignolet is Liverpool’s problem: ‘He let in 52 goals!’
- Frank Lampard post-Man City 3 – Bayern 2: ‘It was a special night, but we’re not there yet’ [Video]
- Brilliant! BVB coach Jurgen Klopp laughs hysterically to the bemusement of journos [Video]
Spanish paper Sport claim Neymar will be a Barcelona player on July 1st, 2013
Spanish sports tabloid Sport are splashing their Sunday paper with eye-catching headline that Neymar will become a Barcelona player on July 1st, 2013.
According to the report, a Santos director as well as a person inside Neymar’s marketing team have both confirmed that the Brazilian star will join Barcelona this summer.
While the tabloid carefully added the caveat that “all that’s left is Barcelona’s official announcement”, the story goes on he claim that Neymar could touch down in Catalonia on July 1st following this summer’s Confederations Cup.
Whilst it’s easy to get excited about the Sport headline – a Barcelona team with Messi, Neymar, Iniesta and Xavi would surely be the dream team of world football – the story should be taken with a pinch of salt.
On January 14, 2013, Neymar told reporters:
I have no agreement with Barcelona or anyone else. The only thing I have signed is with Santos, and I’m happy. They’re a big club with whom I’m under contract until 2014. The most important thing is to be happy, and I’m with my family. My objective is to help Santos and Brazil, and the best will come with hard work.
Nevertheless the rumours persist.
At this stage, the mood does seem to favour Neymar’s arrival at Barcelona sooner rather than later. However expectations should be tempered somewhat as Sport’s article is far from the final twist in the tale.
One observation: Neymar’s mouth watering arrival at the Nou Camp will likely see David Villa depart with Premier League clubs Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal all vying for the Spanish striker in the summer.
Whilst we’re on the subject of Neymar, below you can enjoy his recent brilliant bouncing chapeu v Botafogo SP.
- Updated: February 2, 2013