Spain squad avoid meeting fans who’d waited for them at Madrid airport, young kids left devastated by snub [Video]
- June 24, 2014
Hundreds of Spain fans gathered at Barajas Airport this morning to greet their fallen world champions.
The crowd of fans, young and old, waited at the arrivals entrance, where the Spain squad were due to come through, but after waiting for longer than was normal, word circulated that they were coming through another door.
Many fans then ran through the airport to try and still catch them – one of whom a wheelchair bound man who forced himself up an escalator – but they missed them, as the La Roja squad slipped out through a back door as quickly as possible.
In a sad scene, the young fans were left devastated, with one mother summing it up for them: ‘We came to show them that we’re with them in victory and in defeat, but they weren’t able to show the same gesture.’
In mitigation, it’s worth noting that the Spain plane had been hit by a lightning bolt on landing, so the players were possibly a bit shocked and distressed, and not in the mood for putting on a false show of happiness for the fans.
- Arsenal magician Santi Cazorla packs his Ultimate XI with Spain stars (Video)
- Diego Costa & Juan Mata recalled to Spain squad
- Nuts: Spain’s Dani Ceballos pulled off a tremendous nutmeg v Russia in the Euro U...
- Arsenal full-back Nacho Monreal shows his patriotic side with Ultimate XI choices [Video]
- Isco sets up Jordi Alba for volley with lovely scooped pass at Spain training [Video]
- Gerard Pique’s epic response to being whistled by Spain’s Real Madrid-suppo...
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...