Southampton boss Koeman: Shane Long will be the running striker, Pellè the target man’ [Video]
- August 14, 2014
There’s been a lot of guffawing around Southampton’s decision to pay £12 million for Irish striker Shane Long, but boss Ronald Koeman looks and sounds very excited about the signing, making no mention of the price tag.
Koeman says he signed Long above all for his work ethic and professionalism, praising his attitiude as well as his personality, ‘he’s a good person’.
In terms of how the Saints strike force will line up, Koeman says ‘Long will be the running striker, and (Graziano) Pelle will be the target man’.
Southampton have also done a more crafty bit of business, signing Romanian defender Florin Gardos for £6m from Steaua Bucharest.
As Koeman says, ‘everyone knows the big names and big players, but it’s more difficult, and takes greater scouting work to find an unknown like Gardos’.
Gardos played with Vlad Chiricheș at Steaua, a fellow Romanian who came to the Premier League as a relative unknown and flourished in his debut season.
- Virgil van Dijk’s first interview as a Southampton player after leaving Celtic (v...
- Southampton sign Virgil van Dijk from Celtic on a five-year deal (video)
- Tottenham target Victor Wanyama set to stay at Southampton [Sky Sports]
- Southampton to sign Virgil van Dijk from Celtic for £11.5m [Sky Sports]
- Super Sunday!!! 6/1 Man United to beat Swansea
- FC Midtjylland 1 – Southampton 0: Saints crash out the Europa League (Official Hi...
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...