Southampton boss Koeman: Shane Long will be the running striker, Pellè the target man’ [Video]
- August 14, 2014
There’s been a lot of guffawing around Southampton’s decision to pay £12 million for Irish striker Shane Long, but boss Ronald Koeman looks and sounds very excited about the signing, making no mention of the price tag.
Koeman says he signed Long above all for his work ethic and professionalism, praising his attitiude as well as his personality, ‘he’s a good person’.
In terms of how the Saints strike force will line up, Koeman says ‘Long will be the running striker, and (Graziano) Pelle will be the target man’.
Southampton have also done a more crafty bit of business, signing Romanian defender Florin Gardos for £6m from Steaua Bucharest.
As Koeman says, ‘everyone knows the big names and big players, but it’s more difficult, and takes greater scouting work to find an unknown like Gardos’.
Gardos played with Vlad Chiricheș at Steaua, a fellow Romanian who came to the Premier League as a relative unknown and flourished in his debut season.
- Southampton v Vitesse: Watch a Live Stream of the Europa League qualifier
- Steven Caulker’s first interview as a Southampton player (video)
- Southampton fans release strange music video celebrating entry into UEFA Europa League ...
- Southampton star Graziano Pelle gave a disabled Feyenoord fan his shirt (Video)
- Graziano Pelle scores on Feyenoord return, Southampton win 3-0 at De Kuip (Official Hig...
- FC Groningen 0 – Southampton 3: Sadio Mane & Graziano Pelle fire Saints to v...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi