- Olivier Giroud out of Dortmund game: Arsenal failed to register striker for CL!
- Nuts! Ricardo Kishna’s amazing Panna for Ajax v Heenreveen [Official video]
- Arsene Wenger kept Arsenal’s players in for dressing room for showdown talks after Man United loss
- Arsenal paid £50,000 for Paul Gascoigne’s medical care; Spurs made Gazza pay for CL tickets [Sun]
- Brendan Rodgers’ position as Liverpool manager “not under immediate threat” [BBC]
Southampton boss Koeman: Shane Long will be the running striker, Pellè the target man’ [Video]
There’s been a lot of guffawing around Southampton’s decision to pay £12 million for Irish striker Shane Long, but boss Ronald Koeman looks and sounds very excited about the signing, making no mention of the price tag.
Koeman says he signed Long above all for his work ethic and professionalism, praising his attitiude as well as his personality, ‘he’s a good person’.
In terms of how the Saints strike force will line up, Koeman says ‘Long will be the running striker, and (Graziano) Pelle will be the target man’.
Southampton have also done a more crafty bit of business, signing Romanian defender Florin Gardos for £6m from Steaua Bucharest.
As Koeman says, ‘everyone knows the big names and big players, but it’s more difficult, and takes greater scouting work to find an unknown like Gardos’.
Gardos played with Vlad Chiricheș at Steaua, a fellow Romanian who came to the Premier League as a relative unknown and flourished in his debut season.
- Updated: August 14, 2014