Soccer AM: John Barnes proves he’s world baton champion
- February 7, 2009
Legendary Watford, Liverpool and England winger John Barnes was the first guest on the show, and he had a mixed experience of being hated and then loved.
On the downside, Bruce Grobbelaar had sent a message into the show in anticipation of Barnes’ appearance, slagging off the winger for throwing away the dramatic 1988/89 season in the famous last game against Arsenal after he lost the critical possession at the death rather than winding down the clock by holding the ball up in the corner. (Watch here.)
Later on in the show though Barnes got his full dose of loving, as the Jamaican showed off his little unknown baton skills after it was revealed that he was an under-11 champion back in his youth. Watch this must-see video here.
After Barnsey (full interview can be seen here), next up on the sofa was Sky News’ anchorman Dermot Murnaghan who talked about what it’s like to interview the Prime Minister and how he began his career for a local newspaper in Coventry.
The was a Spurs angle to the show, kicking off with Steve Sedgley taking the camera round White Hart Lane in This Is My Club. And in a the second Tottenham feature, manager Harry Redknapp explained what he loves about football.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi