Soccer AM: John Barnes proves he’s world baton champion
- February 7, 2009
Legendary Watford, Liverpool and England winger John Barnes was the first guest on the show, and he had a mixed experience of being hated and then loved.
On the downside, Bruce Grobbelaar had sent a message into the show in anticipation of Barnes’ appearance, slagging off the winger for throwing away the dramatic 1988/89 season in the famous last game against Arsenal after he lost the critical possession at the death rather than winding down the clock by holding the ball up in the corner. (Watch here.)
Later on in the show though Barnes got his full dose of loving, as the Jamaican showed off his little unknown baton skills after it was revealed that he was an under-11 champion back in his youth. Watch this must-see video here.
After Barnsey (full interview can be seen here), next up on the sofa was Sky News’ anchorman Dermot Murnaghan who talked about what it’s like to interview the Prime Minister and how he began his career for a local newspaper in Coventry.
The was a Spurs angle to the show, kicking off with Steve Sedgley taking the camera round White Hart Lane in This Is My Club. And in a the second Tottenham feature, manager Harry Redknapp explained what he loves about football.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...