Sligo Rovers had their name misspelled on FAI Cup medals & it took them a while to notice [Picture]
- November 5, 2013
This story may fuel a fresh cycle of Irish numpty jokes.
Sligo Rovers won the FAI Cup beating Drogheda United 3-2 last weekend in Ireland, but the winners of the trophy had their name screwed up on the ceremonial medals from the match.
After the match, Drogheda’s Philip Hand tweeted a picture of his runner-up medal to show how the victors name was messed up as it was engraved as “Silgo Rovers.”
Moreover, according to TheJournal.ie it took a while for Sligo to realise the error also.
Sligo’s Alan Keane told TheScore.ie: “We only noticed it on the bus on the way back to Sligo. Our skipper Danny Ventre was having a look and spotted it: ‘Silgo.’ We got a few laughs out of that. As long as the right words — cup winners — are on the back we won’t worry too much about what’s written on the back.
The supplier has apologised for the mistake, and new medals are set to be issued to fix the error.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...