Jose’s Gripe: Should Mats Hummels have been sent off for a handball against Real Madrid?
- May 1, 2013
“I am very disappointed with one of my favourite referees in the world. It’s a red card for Mats Hummels. He saw it. In that moment he was not a referee, he was a human being. He thought ‘if I give a red card to Mats Hummels, he will miss the final.'” – Jose Mourinho.
Jose had a point.
Mats Hummels, Borussia Dortmund’s classy centre-half who has been strongly linked with a move to Barcelona this summer, was singled out by the Special One for getting away with a dismissal in the Champions League semifinal, second leg on Tuesday night.
With Real Madrid on the attack and desperate for goals with the match still goalless, Hummels blocked a Cristiano Ronaldo slide-pass with his trailing hand.
Without question, Hummels, who was defending on the edge of the Dortmund box, handled the ball. In doing so he stopped a goalscoring opportunity for Madrid. And referee Howard Webb had a perfect position to watch the incident unfold. So the result? Nada. Bupkis.
There is also a swings and roundabouts angle to the Hummels incident.
While Real were upset about the German’s non-dismissal, the Spaniards also benefitted from a non-dismissal of their own after Sergio Ramos’ constant fouling on Robert Lewandowski throughout the match.
Footage of Mats Hummels’ handball against Real Madrid can be seen below.
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...