Jose’s Gripe: Should Mats Hummels have been sent off for a handball against Real Madrid?
- May 1, 2013
“I am very disappointed with one of my favourite referees in the world. It’s a red card for Mats Hummels. He saw it. In that moment he was not a referee, he was a human being. He thought ‘if I give a red card to Mats Hummels, he will miss the final.'” – Jose Mourinho.
Jose had a point.
Mats Hummels, Borussia Dortmund’s classy centre-half who has been strongly linked with a move to Barcelona this summer, was singled out by the Special One for getting away with a dismissal in the Champions League semifinal, second leg on Tuesday night.
With Real Madrid on the attack and desperate for goals with the match still goalless, Hummels blocked a Cristiano Ronaldo slide-pass with his trailing hand.
Without question, Hummels, who was defending on the edge of the Dortmund box, handled the ball. In doing so he stopped a goalscoring opportunity for Madrid. And referee Howard Webb had a perfect position to watch the incident unfold. So the result? Nada. Bupkis.
There is also a swings and roundabouts angle to the Hummels incident.
While Real were upset about the German’s non-dismissal, the Spaniards also benefitted from a non-dismissal of their own after Sergio Ramos’ constant fouling on Robert Lewandowski throughout the match.
Footage of Mats Hummels’ handball against Real Madrid can be seen below.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...