Jose’s Gripe: Should Mats Hummels have been sent off for a handball against Real Madrid?
- May 1, 2013
“I am very disappointed with one of my favourite referees in the world. It’s a red card for Mats Hummels. He saw it. In that moment he was not a referee, he was a human being. He thought ‘if I give a red card to Mats Hummels, he will miss the final.'” – Jose Mourinho.
Jose had a point.
Mats Hummels, Borussia Dortmund’s classy centre-half who has been strongly linked with a move to Barcelona this summer, was singled out by the Special One for getting away with a dismissal in the Champions League semifinal, second leg on Tuesday night.
With Real Madrid on the attack and desperate for goals with the match still goalless, Hummels blocked a Cristiano Ronaldo slide-pass with his trailing hand.
Without question, Hummels, who was defending on the edge of the Dortmund box, handled the ball. In doing so he stopped a goalscoring opportunity for Madrid. And referee Howard Webb had a perfect position to watch the incident unfold. So the result? Nada. Bupkis.
There is also a swings and roundabouts angle to the Hummels incident.
While Real were upset about the German’s non-dismissal, the Spaniards also benefitted from a non-dismissal of their own after Sergio Ramos’ constant fouling on Robert Lewandowski throughout the match.
Footage of Mats Hummels’ handball against Real Madrid can be seen below.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi