Should Daniel Sturridge have won a penalty for Liverpool v Southampton?
- September 22, 2013
Liverpool lost their first match of the Premier League season on Saturday when Southampton won 1-0 at Anfield, however Scouse supporters were left upset that their side didn’t win a penalty in the first half.
The action started when Daniel Sturridge picked up possession on the far right hand side, and the in-form striker immediate made moves towards the Saints box.
After putting Southampton left-back Luke Shaw on the defensive with a strong run into the box, Sturridge hit the deck after covering defender Dejan Lovren stuck out his right leg in the Saints area. Lovren didn’t make contact with the ball but he did make contact with the Liverpool attacker.
Yet referee Neil Swarbrick failed to call a penalty nor did he book Sturridge for diving. Instead he simply waved play-on, which seemed to most unlikely decision in the circumstances.
Watch footage of Daniel Sturridg’s penalty claim for Liverpool v Southampton below.
Brendan Rodgers: “If the Liverpool owners want me to go then I go”
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...