Should Daniel Sturridge have won a penalty for Liverpool v Southampton?
- September 22, 2013
Liverpool lost their first match of the Premier League season on Saturday when Southampton won 1-0 at Anfield, however Scouse supporters were left upset that their side didn’t win a penalty in the first half.
The action started when Daniel Sturridge picked up possession on the far right hand side, and the in-form striker immediate made moves towards the Saints box.
After putting Southampton left-back Luke Shaw on the defensive with a strong run into the box, Sturridge hit the deck after covering defender Dejan Lovren stuck out his right leg in the Saints area. Lovren didn’t make contact with the ball but he did make contact with the Liverpool attacker.
Yet referee Neil Swarbrick failed to call a penalty nor did he book Sturridge for diving. Instead he simply waved play-on, which seemed to most unlikely decision in the circumstances.
Watch footage of Daniel Sturridg’s penalty claim for Liverpool v Southampton below.
- Daniel Sturridge celebrates return to Liverpool training with several Instagram posts
- Injury-plagued Daniel Sturridge returned to Liverpool training on Thursday (Pictures)
- Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge provides comedy commentary for Usain Bolt’s 10...
- Daniel Sturridge posts another video on YouTube showing Liverpool fans he’s looki...
- Daniel Sturridge posts video on YouTube, Liverpool return looks close
- Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge posts video of himself shooting and heading on road ...
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...