Should Daniel Sturridge have won a penalty for Liverpool v Southampton?
- September 22, 2013
Liverpool lost their first match of the Premier League season on Saturday when Southampton won 1-0 at Anfield, however Scouse supporters were left upset that their side didn’t win a penalty in the first half.
The action started when Daniel Sturridge picked up possession on the far right hand side, and the in-form striker immediate made moves towards the Saints box.
After putting Southampton left-back Luke Shaw on the defensive with a strong run into the box, Sturridge hit the deck after covering defender Dejan Lovren stuck out his right leg in the Saints area. Lovren didn’t make contact with the ball but he did make contact with the Liverpool attacker.
Yet referee Neil Swarbrick failed to call a penalty nor did he book Sturridge for diving. Instead he simply waved play-on, which seemed to most unlikely decision in the circumstances.
Watch footage of Daniel Sturridg’s penalty claim for Liverpool v Southampton below.
- Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge uploads video of himself dribbling on road to injury...
- Daniel Sturridge clears up unfortunate Tweet that sounded like it was about You-Know-Who
- Fighting Fit: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge lays into a punchbag in workout [Video]
- Liverpool man Daniel Sturridge posts video working hard in training [Instagram]
- A Daniel Sturridge lookalike picks up girls while wearing a full Liverpool kit [Video]
- Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge turns up in Drake’s entourage in Toronto [Pict...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi