Shinji Kagawa blames poor Japan form down to lack of Man United playing time
Already qualified for the 2014 World Cup, Shinji Kagawa and his Japan team mates played two low-key friendlies against Serbia and Belarus over the last week.
Japan lost both games, 2-0 to Serbia on Friday night followed by a 1-0 loss to Belarus in two very underwhelming matches for the Blue Samurai.
Kagawa played all but four minutes of the two international friendlies and by all accounts the Manchester United attacker was rather disappointing.
Predictably, Kagawa has linked his form for Japan with the much publicised lack of playing time under David Moyes at Manchester United.
Saying: “There’s a matter of fitness and there’s also that atmosphere of playing for my country. It’s different from the atmosphere at United, but you still get a good feel for being on the pitch when you play regularly.”
Kagawa added: “”Maybe it’s because I’m not used to being on the pitch of late, but I didn’t feel like I was able to enter these two games properly. During tough times like these I have to improve myself. Personally, I felt strongly after these two matches (against Serbia and Belarus) that I need to play more and, as a team, there are many things we need to do.”
Shinji Kagawa’s individual highlights against Serbia and Belarus are on the videos below.
Watch Live Stream
- Bizarre: Godzilla takes a penalty in Japan before J-League match (Video)July 24, 2016
- Leicester forward Shinji Okazaki scored a lovely goal for Japan v Afghanistan (Video)March 24, 2016
- Dancing feet: Borussia Dortmund’s Shinji Kagawa scores tremendous goal for Japan (Video)September 8, 2015
- Japan’s Shinji Kagawa misses open goal from 5 yards out v Cambodia (Video)September 4, 2015
- EA Sports reveal FIFA 17 ratings after getting James, Rashford and co. to rate themselves (Video)August 29, 2016
- Olivier Giroud discusses Arsenal’s title chances & hails Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s influence at Man UnitedAugust 29, 2016
- Twitter explodes as rumours circulate that Jordan Henderson will replace Wayne Rooney as England captainAugust 29, 2016
- Man City fans prove Sergio Aguero didn’t connect with elbow & Andre Marriner saw incidentAugust 29, 2016
- Shinji Kagawa on how he helped Marco Reus feature on the global cover of FIFA 17 (Video)July 23, 2016
- Shinji Kagawa’s sublime chip for Borussia Dortmund in the derby v Schalke (Video)April 10, 2016
- Shinji Kagawa took part in an adorable football event on Christmas Eve for Japanese kids (Video)December 27, 2015
- Man United old boys Shinji Kagawa & Chicharito score in the German Cup (Videos)October 28, 2015