Shakhtar Donetsk’s Dombass Arena shelled: two explosions occur, no casualties [Pictures]
- August 23, 2014
The political crisis in Ukraine has veered its head into the football domain, as Shakhtar Donetsk’s Dombass Arena was shelled by unidentified assailants.
A club statement on Saturday morning read:
“On 23 August, at 6:00, two powerful explosions occurred at Donbass Arena.
“As a result of shelling, there are numerous damages of the northwestern facade of the stadium, communications, equipment and detached building of the energy centre, which is located in the northern part of the Donbass Arena park.
“There are no casualties among the stadium staff.”
So it looks like the 6 desserters – Fred, Ismaily, Douglas Costa, Alex Teixeira, Dentinho and Facundo Ferreyr – have been vindicated for their decision not to return to the club due to fears over the crisis in Ukraine.
Just what impact this will have the rest of Shakhtar’s squad remains to be seen; though thankfully nobody was injured in this attack.
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...