Shakhtar Donetsk’s Dombass Arena shelled: two explosions occur, no casualties [Pictures]
- August 23, 2014
The political crisis in Ukraine has veered its head into the football domain, as Shakhtar Donetsk’s Dombass Arena was shelled by unidentified assailants.
A club statement on Saturday morning read:
“On 23 August, at 6:00, two powerful explosions occurred at Donbass Arena.
“As a result of shelling, there are numerous damages of the northwestern facade of the stadium, communications, equipment and detached building of the energy centre, which is located in the northern part of the Donbass Arena park.
“There are no casualties among the stadium staff.”
So it looks like the 6 desserters – Fred, Ismaily, Douglas Costa, Alex Teixeira, Dentinho and Facundo Ferreyr – have been vindicated for their decision not to return to the club due to fears over the crisis in Ukraine.
Just what impact this will have the rest of Shakhtar’s squad remains to be seen; though thankfully nobody was injured in this attack.
- Done Deal: Bayern Munich confirm the signing of Douglas Costa
- Bayern Munich set to sign Douglas Costa from Shakhtar for €35m [Sport 1]
- Dynamo Kiev fans invade pitch after beating Shakhtar, destroy goalposts [Video]
- Chelsea’s kids beat Shakhtar 3-2 to be crowned the UEFA Youth League champions [H...
- Worst Panenka attempt ever? Romario Baldé for Benfica in UEFA Youth League vs Shakhtar ...
- Barcelona target Douglas Costa wants to join Chelsea, calls Jose Mourinho the best [Fou...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi