- Steward took ‘Wenger Out’ poster out an Arsenal fan’s hands at the Man United game [Pictures]
- RISK FREE: Back Southampton to beat Aston Villa at 5/1 + money back if you lose!!!!
- Awesome scissors kick Golazo! Yann Kermorgant for Bournemouth v Ipswich
- Individual highlights of Leo Messi’s (Barcelona) record-breaking hat-trick performance v Sevilla [Video]
- Crystal Palace v Liverpool [Team Sheets]
Shakhtar Donetsk’s Dombass Arena shelled: two explosions occur, no casualties [Pictures]
The political crisis in Ukraine has veered its head into the football domain, as Shakhtar Donetsk’s Dombass Arena was shelled by unidentified assailants.
A club statement on Saturday morning read:
“On 23 August, at 6:00, two powerful explosions occurred at Donbass Arena.
“As a result of shelling, there are numerous damages of the northwestern facade of the stadium, communications, equipment and detached building of the energy centre, which is located in the northern part of the Donbass Arena park.
“There are no casualties among the stadium staff.”
So it looks like the 6 desserters – Fred, Ismaily, Douglas Costa, Alex Teixeira, Dentinho and Facundo Ferreyr – have been vindicated for their decision not to return to the club due to fears over the crisis in Ukraine.
Just what impact this will have the rest of Shakhtar’s squad remains to be seen; though thankfully nobody was injured in this attack.
- Updated: August 23, 2014