- Man United fan campaign succeeds after Liverpool remove Mario Balotelli from POTY poll
- The top ten goals from round 32 of La Liga, featuring Antoine Griezmann overhead [Video]
- The goal of the night award goes to Clarence Seedorf [Video]
- Saint Etienne All-Stars beat Ronaldo, Zidane and friends 9-7 in epic charity match [Highlights]
- Ronaldo sends crowd wild with no-look pass to fellow Real Madrid old boy Zidane [Video]
Shakhtar close in on alleged Arsenal target Bernard, Porto second favourites
- July 30, 2013
Was it really just a week ago that L’Equipe claimed Atletico Mineiro winger Bernard would be having a medical at the Emirates last Friday?
For a couple of days, various reports suggested Arsenal were the favourites to sign the Brazilian starlet, as it stands, the Gunners appear to be nowhere in the race for Bernard.
Various Brazilian reports on Tuesday confirm that Bernard is close to an exit from the Copa Libertadores champions with Shakhtar Donetsk the strong favourites and Porto the other major European side most likely to sign the 20-year-old.
Bernard has all but admitted he will play his final game for Atletico Mineiro on Wednesday evening in the Campeonato Brasileiro match versus Atletico-PR.
Shakhtar are understood to have bid 23 million euros for Bernard, which is more than Porto. Last weekend, there were suggestions Brazil team mate Hulk had persuaded the youngster to move to Porto.
In most of the biggest portals in Brazil (e.g. Globosporte and Esporte) Arsenal are simply not mentioned as even a possibility.
On moving abroad, Bernard said on Monday: “I’m more afraid than excited. A new story, new language… So, I will have to adapt, it is natural. I talked to some players and they say that it is all natural.”
He also confirmed that “the farewell match will be on Wednesday.”