Schalke rejected a €30m bid from Arsenal for Julian Draxler in the January window [AS]
- February 24, 2014
Spanish paper AS reports today that Arsenal missed out on Julian Draxler in the January transfer window, despite offering Schalke 30 million euros for the youngster.
Rumours were rife throughout January that Arsenal were closing in on the highly-rated young German playmaker but would have needed to bid plenty more than 30 million euros.
Horst Heldt, Schalke’s sporting director told RP-Online: “We have received an offer for our player from Arsenal, but it was not enough.”
AS suggest that the bid for Draxler from Arsenal was for 30 million euros with the player set to command a much higher fee next summer.
Rumours have been rife in recent weeks that Bayern Munich put pressure on Schalke to hold on to Draxler until the summer when the German champions will make their move for the 20-year-old.
Schalke do not expect to hold on to Draxler at the end of the season but will be looking for a mammoth fee as the German international is contracted to the Bundesliga side until June 30, 2018.
Draxler made his return from injury on Friday night, in the 0-0 draw with Mainz, playing the final 35 minutes as a substitute.
Should Arsene Wenger have made a bigger bid for Draxler in January? Many Arsenal fans certainly seem to think “The Professor” is too frugal with the Gunners money…
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...