Schalke rejected a €30m bid from Arsenal for Julian Draxler in the January window [AS]
Spanish paper AS reports today that Arsenal missed out on Julian Draxler in the January transfer window, despite offering Schalke 30 million euros for the youngster.
Rumours were rife throughout January that Arsenal were closing in on the highly-rated young German playmaker but would have needed to bid plenty more than 30 million euros.
Horst Heldt, Schalke’s sporting director told RP-Online: “We have received an offer for our player from Arsenal, but it was not enough.”
AS suggest that the bid for Draxler from Arsenal was for 30 million euros with the player set to command a much higher fee next summer.
Rumours have been rife in recent weeks that Bayern Munich put pressure on Schalke to hold on to Draxler until the summer when the German champions will make their move for the 20-year-old.
Schalke do not expect to hold on to Draxler at the end of the season but will be looking for a mammoth fee as the German international is contracted to the Bundesliga side until June 30, 2018.
Draxler made his return from injury on Friday night, in the 0-0 draw with Mainz, playing the final 35 minutes as a substitute.
Should Arsene Wenger have made a bigger bid for Draxler in January? Many Arsenal fans certainly seem to think “The Professor” is too frugal with the Gunners money…
- Bayern Munich boost as Franck Ribery starts running again (Video)
- Xabi Alonso is no longer the king of the long range golazo at Bayern Munich (Video)
- Bayern’s Franz Beckenbauer quotes the Bible to convince Pep Guardiola to not join...
- Pep Guardiola has agreed to take over at Man City next season [El Mundo Deportivo]
- Julian Draxler gives his reason for leaving Schalke; Arsenal fans will be relieved they...
- Wolfsburg confirm signing of Julian Draxler from Schalke
- One-time Arsenal target Julian Draxler looks set to join Juventus after he threw a good...
- Julian Draxler’s agent rubbishes rumours of an Arsenal or Man City move [Bild]