Schalke rejected a €30m bid from Arsenal for Julian Draxler in the January window [AS]
Spanish paper AS reports today that Arsenal missed out on Julian Draxler in the January transfer window, despite offering Schalke 30 million euros for the youngster.
Rumours were rife throughout January that Arsenal were closing in on the highly-rated young German playmaker but would have needed to bid plenty more than 30 million euros.
Horst Heldt, Schalke’s sporting director told RP-Online: “We have received an offer for our player from Arsenal, but it was not enough.”
AS suggest that the bid for Draxler from Arsenal was for 30 million euros with the player set to command a much higher fee next summer.
Rumours have been rife in recent weeks that Bayern Munich put pressure on Schalke to hold on to Draxler until the summer when the German champions will make their move for the 20-year-old.
Schalke do not expect to hold on to Draxler at the end of the season but will be looking for a mammoth fee as the German international is contracted to the Bundesliga side until June 30, 2018.
Draxler made his return from injury on Friday night, in the 0-0 draw with Mainz, playing the final 35 minutes as a substitute.
Should Arsene Wenger have made a bigger bid for Draxler in January? Many Arsenal fans certainly seem to think “The Professor” is too frugal with the Gunners money…
Watch Live Stream
- Eden Hazard & N’Golo Kante deliver frank assessment of Arsenal 3 – Chelsea 0 [SFR Sport]September 25, 2016
- Arsenal receive a worrying Francis Coquelin updateSeptember 25, 2016
- Ex Arsenal man scores Bergkamp esque goal in Eredivisie matchSeptember 25, 2016
- Laurent Koscielny trolls Diego Costa on InstagramSeptember 25, 2016
- Looks like Liverpool keeper Loris Karius takes after Bayern Munich’s Manuel NeuerSeptember 25, 2016
- Bayern Munich want to sign Liverpool’s star asset [Express]September 25, 2016
- Will he get in trouble? Bayern’s Franck Ribery was incredibly cheeky v HamburgSeptember 24, 2016
- Bayern Munich close to some great Robert Lewandowski news [Bild]September 21, 2016
- Julian Draxler could be playing for PSG when they face Arsenal in the Champions LeagueAugust 29, 2016
- PSG set for an enormous late bid for Wolfsburg’s Julian Draxler [Kicker]August 29, 2016
- Wolfsburg fine Arsenal target Julian Draxler €100,000 for his Wantaway Interview [Bild]August 6, 2016
- Arsenal will need to pay £50m to prise Julian Draxler away from Wolfsburg [Mirror]August 3, 2016