Schalke chairman Clemens Tonnies says Arsenal target Julian Draxler won’t leave this summer
- April 16, 2014
With Arsenal battling for fourth place and to win the FA Cup, many Gooners will be wondering what might have been with regards to Schalke’s young forward Julian Draxler.
Arsenal were reportedly close to signing Draxler in January but apparently baulked at the fee, or if you believe some reports, the deal was pushed off by Bayern Munich who are also looking to sign the Schalke youngster.
Arsenal are widely expected to move for Draxler again in the summer with reports this week that Arsene Wenger is already looking to tie up the 20-year-old and Real Madrid forward Alvaro Morata.
But Schalke chairman Clemens Tonnies is quoted in Bild today, throwing cold water on a Gunners move for Draxler.
Tonnies hopes to hold on to Julian Draxler and Jefferson Farfan: “I’m optimistic about Draxler and Farfan staying for next season. For years we have tried to give a definite structure to the team and now that we have one we do not want to dismantle it.”
Schalke look almost certain to secure a Champions League spot in the Bundesliga so may be able to rebuff the bigger clubs when they come calling.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...