- AC Milan open negotiations with Atletico Madrid hoping to swap Fernando Torres for Alessio Cerci [Guardian]
- Funny! James Milner plays up to his boring reputation as Man City legend Chappy visits [Video]
- Clarke Carlisle is fighting for his life in hospital after being hit by a lorry
- Priceless! Kids are amazed when Iker Casillas competes against them for goalkeeping position! [Video]
- Juventus ultras talk about why they feel the need to get club tattoos [Copa 90 Video]
Schalke chairman Clemens Tonnies says Arsenal target Julian Draxler won’t leave this summer
With Arsenal battling for fourth place and to win the FA Cup, many Gooners will be wondering what might have been with regards to Schalke’s young forward Julian Draxler.
Arsenal were reportedly close to signing Draxler in January but apparently baulked at the fee, or if you believe some reports, the deal was pushed off by Bayern Munich who are also looking to sign the Schalke youngster.
Arsenal are widely expected to move for Draxler again in the summer with reports this week that Arsene Wenger is already looking to tie up the 20-year-old and Real Madrid forward Alvaro Morata.
But Schalke chairman Clemens Tonnies is quoted in Bild today, throwing cold water on a Gunners move for Draxler.
Tonnies hopes to hold on to Julian Draxler and Jefferson Farfan: “I’m optimistic about Draxler and Farfan staying for next season. For years we have tried to give a definite structure to the team and now that we have one we do not want to dismantle it.”
Schalke look almost certain to secure a Champions League spot in the Bundesliga so may be able to rebuff the bigger clubs when they come calling.
- Updated: April 16, 2014