Schalke chairman Clemens Tonnies says Arsenal target Julian Draxler won’t leave this summer
- April 16, 2014
With Arsenal battling for fourth place and to win the FA Cup, many Gooners will be wondering what might have been with regards to Schalke’s young forward Julian Draxler.
Arsenal were reportedly close to signing Draxler in January but apparently baulked at the fee, or if you believe some reports, the deal was pushed off by Bayern Munich who are also looking to sign the Schalke youngster.
Arsenal are widely expected to move for Draxler again in the summer with reports this week that Arsene Wenger is already looking to tie up the 20-year-old and Real Madrid forward Alvaro Morata.
But Schalke chairman Clemens Tonnies is quoted in Bild today, throwing cold water on a Gunners move for Draxler.
Tonnies hopes to hold on to Julian Draxler and Jefferson Farfan: “I’m optimistic about Draxler and Farfan staying for next season. For years we have tried to give a definite structure to the team and now that we have one we do not want to dismantle it.”
Schalke look almost certain to secure a Champions League spot in the Bundesliga so may be able to rebuff the bigger clubs when they come calling.
- Chelsea’s Jose Mourinho hilarious reaction after Ramires missed his header v Arse...
- Arsenal’s Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain scores a beauty to make it 1-0 v Chelsea (Offic...
- Michael Owen takes a Twitter pasting during Arsenal v Chelsea [Best Tweets]
- D’oh: Arsenal fan at Wembley seen in Petr Cech hat before final v Chelsea [Picture]
- MLS star Frank Lampard wishes Chelsea good luck on Instagram ahead of final v Arsenal
- Chelsea v Arsenal Community Shield final [Team Sheets]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi