Schalke chairman Clemens Tonnies says Arsenal target Julian Draxler won’t leave this summer
With Arsenal battling for fourth place and to win the FA Cup, many Gooners will be wondering what might have been with regards to Schalke’s young forward Julian Draxler.
Arsenal were reportedly close to signing Draxler in January but apparently baulked at the fee, or if you believe some reports, the deal was pushed off by Bayern Munich who are also looking to sign the Schalke youngster.
Arsenal are widely expected to move for Draxler again in the summer with reports this week that Arsene Wenger is already looking to tie up the 20-year-old and Real Madrid forward Alvaro Morata.
But Schalke chairman Clemens Tonnies is quoted in Bild today, throwing cold water on a Gunners move for Draxler.
Tonnies hopes to hold on to Julian Draxler and Jefferson Farfan: “I’m optimistic about Draxler and Farfan staying for next season. For years we have tried to give a definite structure to the team and now that we have one we do not want to dismantle it.”
Schalke look almost certain to secure a Champions League spot in the Bundesliga so may be able to rebuff the bigger clubs when they come calling.
Watch Live Stream
- Who? A lot of Arsenal fans have never heard of imminent new signing Lucas Perez [Tweets]August 24, 2016
- Arsenal set to sign Lucas Perez from Deportivo La Coruña for €20m [El Confidencial]August 24, 2016
- Savage: Barcelona star Gerard Pique makes fun of Arsenal on TwitterAugust 24, 2016
- Rumours linking Arsenal to Antoine Griezmann are lies [Arseblog]August 24, 2016
- Wolfsburg fine Arsenal target Julian Draxler €100,000 for his Wantaway Interview [Bild]August 6, 2016
- Arsenal will need to pay £50m to prise Julian Draxler away from Wolfsburg [Mirror]August 3, 2016
- Arsenal Fan TV on the Julian Draxler rumours (Video)August 3, 2016
- So that leaves Arsenal? Juventus drop out the race for Julian Draxler [Di Marzio]August 3, 2016