Scandalous! Moyes says Spurs’ Lloris should have seen red for scything down Man United’s Ashley Young [Video]
I don't think it was a penalty when Hugo Lloris/ Ashley Young clashed because Young had released the ball and it did not interfere with play
— Mike Parry (@mikeparry8) January 2, 2014
Have only just seen Lloris' challenge on Young. That's a red card, as well as a penalty.
— James Dall (@JamesDallESPN) January 2, 2014
— Daniel Taylor (@DTguardian) January 1, 2014
David Moyes was adamant that Manchester United should have had a penalty and should have been playing against 10-men against Tottenham on New Year’s Day.
Following the shock win for Tim Sherwood’s men at Old Trafford, the Man United supremo branded referee Howard Webb’s refusal to award a penalty for Hugo Lloris’s challenge on Ashley Young and to send the goalkeeper off as “scandalous”.
The incident occurred in the 87th minute as United trailed Spurs 2-1.
Ashley Young advanced into the Tottenham box on the left-hand side, and French goalie Lloris charged off from his line to confront the winger. As the two players come together Young beat the keeper to the ball only to square a cross onto Michael Dawsen’s head, while Lloris went charging into the United #19, although no actual contact was made.
While some had their doubts over whether a penalty should have been awarded, David Moyes had no such qualms.
I thought the team played really well, certainly should have had a penalty and a sending-off for the challenge the goalkeeper made on Ashley Young but I thought we created enough opportunities to get at least a draw.
It was scandalous. If you follow through on a player anywhere else on the pitch with your foot high, it would be a red card. You couldn’t do that anywhere else. The goalkeeper comes out, Ashley Young gets the ball before him and he follows through.
It’s an incredible decision which didn’t go our way, in fact probably one of the worst, I think. All I can tell you is that it is a stonewall penalty kick.
Arguably, Man United didn’t get the decision because of Ashley Young’s reputation of being a diver, and referee Webb had already become wise to spotting diving antics courtesy of a flop from Danny Welbeck earlier in the half.
Completing a trio of dodgy falls, Adnan Januzaj was also denied another decision when the youngster fell just outside the Spurs box when he tried to get past Danny Rose.
Watch the Welbeck, Young and Januzaj incidents on the video below.
- Young Man United fan hails Ashley Young as the difference in 3-1 win over Liverpool (Vi...
- AC Milan (Mexes) beat Manchester United (Ashley Young) in 2 v 2 Adidas Skills game (Video)
- Man United stars played football tennis at unveiling of new away shirts (video)
- Ashley Young agrees a new 3-year Man United contract [ESPN]
- Hugo Lloris states he’s happy at Spurs after non-stop links to Man United (Video)
- Spurs keeper Hugo Lloris will sign for Man United when David De Gea finally leaves for ...
- Spurs keeper Hugo Lloris fractures wrist to further complicate David De Gea saga
- Spurs keeper Hugo Lloris still in regular contact with Man United [L’Equipe]
- Barcelona following Ander Herrera’s substitute situation at Man United with inter...
- Alex Ferguson laughs about Rafa Benitez’s ‘Facts’ rant on Morning Joe...
- Manchester United’s Anthony Martial ran length of the pitch for France like no bi...
- Anderson gets nostalgic for Manchester United days with several Instagram posts