Ryan Giggs plays 145th Champions League game – officially competition’s most experienced player
Ryan Giggs’ introduction in Manchester United’s 1-1 draw at Shakhtar Donetsk on Wednesday night claimed yet another record for the ageless Welshman.
The 39-year-old came on for Marouane Fellaini in the 66th minute and played his 145th Champions League game, officially a new record for Europe’s premier competition.
The appearance record was not all Giggs secured in the Ukraine, he also smashed a couple of other Champions League records.
He has become the first player to play in 19 Champions League seasons and first to play against 50 different clubs in Champions League history.
These are simply staggering records and it will be a surprise if they are ever beaten!
Manchester United celebrated the Giggs achievements on their official Twitter account (see above) and on Instagram, see below. His post-Donetsk interview is at the bottom of this page.
Watch Live Stream
- Zlatan claims Man United need to do one thing to stop their season implodingDecember 10, 2016
- Liverpool forward turned down Man United and Bayern MunichDecember 10, 2016
- Pep Guardiola claims FIFA need to change the way substitutes workDecember 10, 2016
- Man Utd’s Henrikh Mkhitaryan talks about adapting to physicality of the Premier League (Video)December 10, 2016
- Patrice Evra sends an awesome birthday message to Ryan Giggs [Instagram]November 29, 2016
- Man United legend Ryan Giggs tells Tubes about his managerial ambitions (Video)November 19, 2016
- Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale names his greatest ever teammate and it’s not Cristiano RonaldoNovember 16, 2016
- Man City’s Sergio Aguero gets one over Man United’s legend Ryan GiggsNovember 5, 2016