Ryan Giggs plays 145th Champions League game – officially competition’s most experienced player
Ryan Giggs’ introduction in Manchester United’s 1-1 draw at Shakhtar Donetsk on Wednesday night claimed yet another record for the ageless Welshman.
The 39-year-old came on for Marouane Fellaini in the 66th minute and played his 145th Champions League game, officially a new record for Europe’s premier competition.
The appearance record was not all Giggs secured in the Ukraine, he also smashed a couple of other Champions League records.
He has become the first player to play in 19 Champions League seasons and first to play against 50 different clubs in Champions League history.
These are simply staggering records and it will be a surprise if they are ever beaten!
Manchester United celebrated the Giggs achievements on their official Twitter account (see above) and on Instagram, see below. His post-Donetsk interview is at the bottom of this page.
Watch Live Stream
- Man United legend Rio Ferdinand reveals Paul Pogba, Adnan Januzaj & Jesse Lingard used to lo...May 27th, 2016
- Wayne Rooney lashes home 52nd England goal against Australia (Video)May 27th, 2016
- Marcus Rashford becomes youngest ever player to score on England debut (Videos)May 27th, 2016
- Twitter goes nuts as Man Utd’s Marcus Rashford scores 135 seconds into his England debutMay 27th, 2016
- Jose Mourinho wants Ryan Giggs to stay, but not as Man United assistant manager [SSN]May 24th, 2016
- Trevor Sinclair thinks Ryan Giggs should leave Manchester United for another club (Video)May 23rd, 2016
- Manchester United to announce Ryan Giggs’ departure after Van Gaal’s sacking [Mirror]May 23rd, 2016
- Louis van Gaal & Man United staff still don’t know about their future [Telegraaf]May 23rd, 2016