Ryan Giggs plays 145th Champions League game – officially competition’s most experienced player
Ryan Giggs’ introduction in Manchester United’s 1-1 draw at Shakhtar Donetsk on Wednesday night claimed yet another record for the ageless Welshman.
The 39-year-old came on for Marouane Fellaini in the 66th minute and played his 145th Champions League game, officially a new record for Europe’s premier competition.
The appearance record was not all Giggs secured in the Ukraine, he also smashed a couple of other Champions League records.
He has become the first player to play in 19 Champions League seasons and first to play against 50 different clubs in Champions League history.
These are simply staggering records and it will be a surprise if they are ever beaten!
Manchester United celebrated the Giggs achievements on their official Twitter account (see above) and on Instagram, see below. His post-Donetsk interview is at the bottom of this page.
Watch Live Stream
- Rumour: Tottenham U18 coach Kieran McKenna joins Man UnitedAugust 28, 2016
- 12 of 14 Man United players celebrate late Hull win on InstagramAugust 28, 2016
- The four youngest players to score for Jose Mourinho at either Man United or Chelsea [MOTD Stat]August 28, 2016
- Sun stitch up Jose Mourinho claiming he stole from builders, dredge up old Chelsea problemsAugust 28, 2016
- ‘War of Nutrition’ : Man United legend Ryan Giggs needs to work on his football cliches (Video)August 20, 2016
- The story of Ryan Giggs roughing up Cristiano Ronaldo at Man United for drinking Coke [Times]August 14, 2016
- Manchester United legend claims Ryan Giggs once got violent with Cristiano Ronaldo over a can of CokeJuly 31, 2016
- Manchester United legend Ryan Giggs produces awesome back-heel pass during Indian Futsal (Video)July 25, 2016