Ryan Giggs plays 145th Champions League game – officially competition’s most experienced player
Ryan Giggs’ introduction in Manchester United’s 1-1 draw at Shakhtar Donetsk on Wednesday night claimed yet another record for the ageless Welshman.
The 39-year-old came on for Marouane Fellaini in the 66th minute and played his 145th Champions League game, officially a new record for Europe’s premier competition.
The appearance record was not all Giggs secured in the Ukraine, he also smashed a couple of other Champions League records.
He has become the first player to play in 19 Champions League seasons and first to play against 50 different clubs in Champions League history.
These are simply staggering records and it will be a surprise if they are ever beaten!
Manchester United celebrated the Giggs achievements on their official Twitter account (see above) and on Instagram, see below. His post-Donetsk interview is at the bottom of this page.
Watch Live Stream
- ‘I need to protect him’: Jose Mourinho explains why Wayne Rooney may not start v Zorya (Video)September 28, 2016
- Wayne Rooney could sit out Europa League game and Sunday’s clash with Stoke [Sky Sports]September 28, 2016
- Jose Mourinho ‘feels sorry’ for Sam Allardyce after his dream job ended in disaster (Video)September 28, 2016
- Jesse Lingard plays down impact of Wayne Rooney’s absence (Video)September 28, 2016
- Updates on whether Man United legend Ryan Giggs will take over at SwanseaSeptember 26, 2016
- Man United legend Ryan Giggs could make his EPL return if Liverpool win their next game [Mirror]September 25, 2016
- Man United legend Ryan Giggs tipped for coaching role in Eastern EuropeSeptember 22, 2016
- ‘War of Nutrition’ : Man United legend Ryan Giggs needs to work on his football cliches (Video)August 20, 2016