Ryan Giggs plays 145th Champions League game – officially competition’s most experienced player
Ryan Giggs’ introduction in Manchester United’s 1-1 draw at Shakhtar Donetsk on Wednesday night claimed yet another record for the ageless Welshman.
The 39-year-old came on for Marouane Fellaini in the 66th minute and played his 145th Champions League game, officially a new record for Europe’s premier competition.
The appearance record was not all Giggs secured in the Ukraine, he also smashed a couple of other Champions League records.
He has become the first player to play in 19 Champions League seasons and first to play against 50 different clubs in Champions League history.
These are simply staggering records and it will be a surprise if they are ever beaten!
Manchester United celebrated the Giggs achievements on their official Twitter account (see above) and on Instagram, see below. His post-Donetsk interview is at the bottom of this page.
Watch Live Stream
- Vicente del Bosque supports Jose Mourinho’s criticisms of Chelsea’s boss [Cadena SER]October 26, 2016
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic discusses his & Man United’s poor formOctober 26, 2016
- Man United fans go nuts as Mourinho says Pogba could play in a different position [Tweets]October 26, 2016
- Full Time Devils worry about Eric Bailly’s injury (Video)October 26, 2016
- Ryan Giggs slams Manchester United stars for swapping shirts after defeatOctober 24, 2016
- Ryan Giggs blasts Man United players attitude for swapping shirts at full-time after losing 4-0October 23, 2016
- Ryan Giggs says Jose Mourinho may have ‘confused’ Wayne RooneyOctober 12, 2016
- Man United legend Ryan Giggs doesn’t like SnapChat (Video)October 11, 2016