Russian Rebel? Zenit’s Igor Denisov blocks out the national anthem
- December 11, 2012
Public dissent against the Russian state rarely goes down well.
Zenit midfielder Igor Denisov has drawn widespread attention for his strange behaviour during the rendition of the Russian national anthem on Monday.
As the music was playing in the pre-match pomp in the match with Anji Makhachkala, Denisov, a 28-year-old with 35 international caps, cupped his ears as if to blatantly block out the sound of the anthem whilst craning his neck towards the ground.
Disrespectful? Maybe, but if Denisov was making a protest nobody seems to know what his point was.
The other theory doing the rounds is far more straightforward. Denisov just had very cold ears.
Come to your own conclusions by watching the video below.
[jwplayer config=”For-all-videos” mediaid=”267012″]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...