Russian Rebel? Zenit’s Igor Denisov blocks out the national anthem
- December 11, 2012
Public dissent against the Russian state rarely goes down well.
Zenit midfielder Igor Denisov has drawn widespread attention for his strange behaviour during the rendition of the Russian national anthem on Monday.
As the music was playing in the pre-match pomp in the match with Anji Makhachkala, Denisov, a 28-year-old with 35 international caps, cupped his ears as if to blatantly block out the sound of the anthem whilst craning his neck towards the ground.
Disrespectful? Maybe, but if Denisov was making a protest nobody seems to know what his point was.
The other theory doing the rounds is far more straightforward. Denisov just had very cold ears.
Come to your own conclusions by watching the video below.
[jwplayer config=”For-all-videos” mediaid=”267012″]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi