Roy Hogdson: England’s Steven Gerrard will be fit for Italy, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain “could be fit” for Uruguay
- June 10, 2014
Roy Hogdson has met the press in Brazil on Tuesday ahead of England’s World Cup opener in Manaus against Italy.
The two opening questions were on injuries: Steven Gerrard’s groin tweak and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s more serious issue.
On the Liverpool captain, Hogdson instantly brushed aside any injury issues with Gerrard saying there’s “nothing wrong with him”.
Moving on to Arsenal’s injured winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Hodgson also said the medics are “hoping by the second game he will be fit.” That would be against Uruguay in Sao Paulo on Thursday, June 19th.
Hodgson also commented that “We go into every game wanting to win. We’re hoping there’s a purpose to our possession football… Let’s calm ourselves down a little bit before we say we have got world beaters in our squad because first they have to play well.”
The Engalnd manager asked reacted to a question from a local journalist on rumours England aren’t happy about starting their campaign in the Amazon rainforest, Hodgson said “It’s not true that we complained about Manaus or Brazil … that nonsense should be put to bed straight away”.
- Jonjo Shelvey calls Wayne Rooney the ‘best English player in England’ (Video)
- Swansea’s Jonjo Shelvey named in England Squad
- “Eternal friend”: Diego Maradona posts about re-uniting with England-Argent...
- Leaked: England’s 2015-16 blue on blue away kit is ugly [Pictures]
- David Moyes thinks Phil Neville has what it takes to become England manager
- England get Scotland in 2018 World Cup Qualifying, here’s all the groups
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...