Roy Hogdson: England’s Steven Gerrard will be fit for Italy, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain “could be fit” for Uruguay
Roy Hogdson has met the press in Brazil on Tuesday ahead of England’s World Cup opener in Manaus against Italy.
The two opening questions were on injuries: Steven Gerrard’s groin tweak and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s more serious issue.
On the Liverpool captain, Hogdson instantly brushed aside any injury issues with Gerrard saying there’s “nothing wrong with him”.
Moving on to Arsenal’s injured winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Hodgson also said the medics are “hoping by the second game he will be fit.” That would be against Uruguay in Sao Paulo on Thursday, June 19th.
Hodgson also commented that “We go into every game wanting to win. We’re hoping there’s a purpose to our possession football… Let’s calm ourselves down a little bit before we say we have got world beaters in our squad because first they have to play well.”
The Engalnd manager asked reacted to a question from a local journalist on rumours England aren’t happy about starting their campaign in the Amazon rainforest, Hodgson said “It’s not true that we complained about Manaus or Brazil … that nonsense should be put to bed straight away”.
Watch Live Stream
- Leicester City’s Danny Drinkwater reacts to exclusion from England squad [Instagram]May 31st, 2016
- Thierry Henry uses Spurs as example for youngsters being mentally weak (Video)May 31st, 2016
- England fans react to Roy Hodgson’s final 23 man squad [Best Tweets]May 31st, 2016
- England 23 man squad for EURO 2016 announced ft. Man United’s Marcus RashfordMay 31st, 2016
- England boss Roy Hodgson asked bizarre question about Daniel Sturridge (Video)May 28th, 2016
- Roy Hodgson criticized for bizarre solution to Daniel Sturridge’s calf injury [Tweets]May 28th, 2016
- Roy Hodgson insists Wayne Rooney isn’t guaranteed England starting spot (Video)May 16th, 2016
- West Ham fan calls for Roy Hodgson to be booed for snubbing Hammers stars (BBC Audio)May 15th, 2016