Roy Hogdson: England’s Steven Gerrard will be fit for Italy, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain “could be fit” for Uruguay
Roy Hogdson has met the press in Brazil on Tuesday ahead of England’s World Cup opener in Manaus against Italy.
The two opening questions were on injuries: Steven Gerrard’s groin tweak and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s more serious issue.
On the Liverpool captain, Hogdson instantly brushed aside any injury issues with Gerrard saying there’s “nothing wrong with him”.
Moving on to Arsenal’s injured winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Hodgson also said the medics are “hoping by the second game he will be fit.” That would be against Uruguay in Sao Paulo on Thursday, June 19th.
Hodgson also commented that “We go into every game wanting to win. We’re hoping there’s a purpose to our possession football… Let’s calm ourselves down a little bit before we say we have got world beaters in our squad because first they have to play well.”
The Engalnd manager asked reacted to a question from a local journalist on rumours England aren’t happy about starting their campaign in the Amazon rainforest, Hodgson said “It’s not true that we complained about Manaus or Brazil … that nonsense should be put to bed straight away”.
Watch Live Stream
- England boss Sam Allardyce pranks 5 kids at Wembley Stadium (Video)August 28, 2016
- Chelsea’s John Terry has bad news for England [Sunday Times]August 27, 2016
- Man United & Arsenal full internationals included in England U21 squadAugust 25, 2016
- Should Man United’s Wayne Rooney remain England’s captain? (BBC Video)August 23, 2016
- Roberto Carlos quote about Roy Hodgson resurfaces after England’s Euro 2016 debacleJune 29, 2016
- Disgraced England boss Roy Hodgson had a car crash final press conference [Video & Tweets]June 28, 2016
- Roy Hodgson’s England resignation letter draws heavy criticism [Tweets]June 28, 2016
- England boss Roy Hodgson resigns – three days before his contract expires (Video)June 27, 2016