Rooney set to put in a transfer request at Man United, Chelsea’s 2nd bid rejected [Mail]
- August 5, 2013
Wayne Rooney still wants out of Manchester United, and he is willing to submit a (third?) transfer request to make a move to Chelsea happen, if the Mail on Monday is to be believed.
According to Neil Ashton:
Wayne Rooney will submit a formal, written transfer request if Manchester United refuse to sanction his move to Chelsea this week. United have already rejected a bid of £23million, plus £2.5m in additional clauses, but Chelsea are poised to make an improved offer.
The striker is now prepared to put his wishes in writing before Rio Ferdinand’s testimonial against Sevilla on Friday and will use any backlash from angry United fans as ammunition in his fight to leave.
If the story is true, it begs the question why Rooney hasn’t yet lodged a transfer request at the Theatre of Dreams.
What is Rooney waiting for? Does he think his reputation will be held in higher esteem at Old Trafford if the club negotiate a deal with Chelsea rather than him forcing a contractual exit? That feels highly dubious.
In the main, Manchester United supporters have long turned on Rooney and even if the England international were to stay at Carrington this season the sense is the love is lost between the fans and the striker.
As for Chelsea, the Blues are ready to match Rooney’s £240,000-a-week wages and will offer him a five-year deal. A bid close to £40m could be enough to make the deal happen.
For now all eyes will be on Sweden. Wayne Rooney, who has missed most of pre-season through injury, is set to play for Man United in Tuesday’s friendly against Swedish club AIK in Stockholm. That occasion should shed more light onto where Rooney’s future lies next season.
Jose Mourinho’s thoughts on Wayne Rooney from two weeks ago can be seen below.
- Chelsea Ladies beat Notts County 1-0 to win their 1st ever FA Cup trophy (Official high...
- The BBC uploaded a trolling John Terry tweet during Chelsea Ladies’ FA Cup final ...
- Ex-Chelsea & Man City midfielder Frank Lampard makes his MLS debut (Videos)
- Which club is bigger Arsenal or Chelsea? [AFTV v CFC]
- Chelsea captain John Terry admits it will be strange to play against ‘Big Pete...
- John Terry tips ‘different class’ Radamel Falcao to succeed at Chelsea (Video)
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi