Rooney set to put in a transfer request at Man United, Chelsea’s 2nd bid rejected [Mail]
Wayne Rooney still wants out of Manchester United, and he is willing to submit a (third?) transfer request to make a move to Chelsea happen, if the Mail on Monday is to be believed.
According to Neil Ashton:
Wayne Rooney will submit a formal, written transfer request if Manchester United refuse to sanction his move to Chelsea this week. United have already rejected a bid of £23million, plus £2.5m in additional clauses, but Chelsea are poised to make an improved offer.
The striker is now prepared to put his wishes in writing before Rio Ferdinand’s testimonial against Sevilla on Friday and will use any backlash from angry United fans as ammunition in his fight to leave.
If the story is true, it begs the question why Rooney hasn’t yet lodged a transfer request at the Theatre of Dreams.
What is Rooney waiting for? Does he think his reputation will be held in higher esteem at Old Trafford if the club negotiate a deal with Chelsea rather than him forcing a contractual exit? That feels highly dubious.
In the main, Manchester United supporters have long turned on Rooney and even if the England international were to stay at Carrington this season the sense is the love is lost between the fans and the striker.
As for Chelsea, the Blues are ready to match Rooney’s £240,000-a-week wages and will offer him a five-year deal. A bid close to £40m could be enough to make the deal happen.
For now all eyes will be on Sweden. Wayne Rooney, who has missed most of pre-season through injury, is set to play for Man United in Tuesday’s friendly against Swedish club AIK in Stockholm. That occasion should shed more light onto where Rooney’s future lies next season.
Jose Mourinho’s thoughts on Wayne Rooney from two weeks ago can be seen below.
- Good Guy John Terry shoots for Love, nominates former Chelsea teammates (Video)
- The 10 best passers in the Premier League so far, featuring Arsenal & Chelsea stars
- Jose Mourinho threatens to kill himself if Chelsea replace him with Brendan Rodgers (Sp...
- Jose Mourinho admits Chelsea’s results have been bad, thanks Roman Abramovich [Ga...
- Pele reveals the clubs that made offers to Santos for him, a Premier League giant among...
- The Premier League team of the season so far
- EPL Wacky Races: Arsenal shoot down Man United, the end for Brendan Rodgers & Dick...
- After Jurgen Klopp, will Shinji Kagawa be next? Liverpool fans hope to sign Man United ...
- Hodgson confirms Wayne Rooney out of Estonia game, Cahill deputizes as captain (Video)
- David Beckham backs Man United striker Wayne Rooney to prove critics wrong
- Watch the BBC documentary on Man United striker Wayne Rooney, presented by Gary Lineker...
- Wayne Rooney documentary: The man behind the goals – best quotes & Tweets