- Szczesny starts, Giroud on the bench: Reading v Arsenal [Team Sheets]
- Jamie Carragher heaps praise on Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers [Video]
- Arsenal’s defensive midfield wall Francis Coquelin previewsCup semi-final v Reading [Video]
- Arsenal’s Danny Welbeck talks about his new role playing on the wing [Video]
- Luis Suarez gives Barcelona first minute lead v Valencia [Video]
Rooney & RVP produce 2 miss of the season contenders during Man United win over Leverkusen
- September 17, 2013
Manchester United beat Bayer Leverkusen 4-2 in David Moyes’ 1st Champions League game at Old Trafford on Tuesday night.
Wayne Rooney claimed a brace to take him to 200 goals for Manchester United, an incredible record, and Robin van Persie also scored in what was a comfortable night.
Yet, two of the finest strikers in world football produced two of the worst misses you have ever seen in a high profile game.
First Rooney, with the score at 1-0 to United, the England striker rounded Bayer keeper Bernd Leno, with a gaping goal and RVP square – there simply was no excuse for failing to make it 2-0 one way or the other.
The fact that Simon Rolfes equalised immediately after left Rooney looking pretty bad until United stepped it up a gear.
Van Persie’s miss came with seconds remaining but he was so close to goal that it was also unforgivable.
GIFs of both misses are below.